Vintage Lever Fill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

This was my entry into the Advanced Pen Contest. I made the finals but didn't make the winners circle. I appreciate the votes though!

I wanted to go for a sleek/slender vintage look for this pen. I used some cellulose acetate that I was lucky enough to get my hands on. I'm not sure where to clip came from. I bought a few from a vendor at the Raleigh pen show last year. Then to tie it all together I made it a lever fill. Not to mention it has 10mm cap/body threads to keep it nice and slim. Add in a Pelikan nib and it was good to go! I was very proud of this one and I'm happy many of you voted for it.

003 (551x700).jpg 005 (583x700).jpg 006 (628x700).jpg 007 (562x700).jpg 011 (700x356).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Superbly Crafted Pen, Jonathon.
Your Profile and Lines of this Pen are Spectacular,
The Threading, Fit and Finish Magnificent, as is the fitting of the Pump Lever.
I appreciate your design objective of a sleek/slender vintage look, and no doubt you achieved it, though IMHO I am not certain if the blank you used carried your vision, and worked for this creation.
I love the pen, but I am of mixed mind with the Blank.
I think it may have been better applied on say an Art Nouveau style of Pen for example.
Regardless, it is a Beautifully Crafted Pen.
Congratulations,
Brian

Brooks803

Great looking pen. At first I thought it was Micarta.

Thanks Don! It does look like micarta. It's all plastic though. Awesome stuff to work with. I have a vintage guitar pick made with the same material but in a different orientation. I'll see if I can dig up a pic...

$T2eC16RHJHoE9n3Ke9mrBQm1dPFRMg~~60_57 (700x700).jpg

Another nice pen Jonathon. You're collection of pens I'm going to steal is growing.

Thanks Ty. I'm planning on keeping this one, so it'll be available for pilfering :wink:

Ed McDonnell

Really nice job on the pen Jonathon. But there was just something about that material that I found unsettling. It was like I was getting dizzy looking at it. And I couldn't stop looking at it, trying to figure out how they made it.

Ed

Brooks803

Really nice job on the pen Jonathon. But there was just something about that material that I found unsettling. It was like I was getting dizzy looking at it. And I couldn't stop looking at it, trying to figure out how they made it.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I know what you're talking about with the unsettling aspect. The material is just to busy. I do like how it's not completely uniform though. You think looking at it can get you dizzy? Try watching spin at 2500rpm! It was giving me headaches. I wish I knew how they made it to! I'd love to be able to create something with that look.

Beautiful work Jonathan....again! The slender shape really suits that material. I guess the section is friction fit with shellac?

Thanks! The section is threaded in actually. The cap to body threads are 10x1 and the section is 8x.75. No room for error! I also had to use a #12 sac.

MichaelD

For me, I like the vintage look a lot. And there's some elegance in that material choice. Would love to see a write up on how you do the lever fill.

Brooks803

For me, I like the vintage look a lot. And there's some elegance in that material choice. Would love to see a write up on how you do the lever fill.

Thanks! If I can get to a point where it doesn't take several hours to make the slot for the lever box I'd be happy to do a video or something :biggrin:

Top Bottom