Vintage Denim Triton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

Here's another from tonight. A vintage denim blank from Exotic Blanks on a Triton.

C &C welcome.

Attachments

• Vintage Denim Triton.jpg
    Vintage Denim Triton.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 394
  • Vintage Denim Open.jpg
    Vintage Denim Open.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 278
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Scott and Bill: sorry you were mislead by the title. That is the name of the blanks that I purchased (unless I'm having a senior moment and got it wrong :wink:).

If you think I should rename the post, let me know and also how to do it.

elkhorn

John and Bob, thanks for the kind comments. I really like the Triton - it looks good and goes together well. I did a few more on Tritons tonight- Thuya burl, black ash burl and a green dyed box elder. They came out quite well, especially the black ash burl. I've posted enough lately, so I didn't put them up. I'll wait until I get some blanks I ordered from SBB:big grin: (that's for you Bob).

Have a great weekend everyone.

TonyL

Very nice despite the label :). It great to see to these pics...it can be hard to tell how a pen will "turn-out" by merely observing the "raw" blanks and bag of kit parts. Very handsome pen! Thanks for sharing

elkhorn

Wayne, Tony & Scott: thank you all. Scott, I just got my new shipment from SBB today, can't wait to use them.

EUREKA!!! My senior moment has passed (no comments, please) and I have solved the problem of the "vintage denim" blanks. I was mistaken (yes, I know that is hard to believe:wink:). They are not vintage denim blanks and I did not buy them from Exotic Blanks (that's 0 for 2). They are a vintage Dufold Acrylic blank from Classic Nib. To quote from Roy's web site: "These acrylic's harken back to the 30's through the 50's. Made for the Parker pen company,...".

I hope this clears up the case of the mysterious and elusive "denim" pen blanks.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.:biggrin:

Janster

Was thinking demin was a fabric(as in a material for pants)?

Scott (Super Mario wears it) B

Thats what I though also, years ago some one gave me a knife handle blank made from the material demin stacked glued togeather with epoxy resin. So was thinking this was something simular.

....I think you are thinking of "Micarta"?

elkhorn

Jan, I believe you are correct. I have a number of knives in my collection with Micarta handles. This quote is from "The Blade Forum": "Micarta is basically epoxy with some added material to give it strength. That material is often paper, cotton cloth, linen, or canvas. Basically, it's alternating layers of epoxy, and paper (or whatever). This layering gives it the appearance and character of "grain." The epoxy can be colored. And whatever other material is used can also be colored and of various different textures. Paper and linen micarta have very fine grain."

What you usually see, I believe, is the linen in the epoxy.

Top Bottom