Vintage Acetate Piston Fillers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

Here are a couple commissioned piston-filling fountain pens I recently completed. Both are made from vintage blue/gray cellulose acetate. All components and filling system (except the nibs) were made from scratch. Clips and bands are fabricated from nickel silver. The first pen is kind of a take on the Pelikan 101, and has a very expensive Pelikan M800 nib in it. I really love the stubby proportions and shorter length. The second is a more modern design, and it has a 14k ruthenium plated Jowo nib. I'm quite pleased with the way they both turned out. I'm really in love with this material, and eventually I'll make myself a pen from this it!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWiv7x5ghMh/?taken-by=jalbertlawrence&hl=en Here's a video of one of the pens.

Attachments

• DSC_0732.jpg
    DSC_0732.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC_0734.jpg
    DSC_0734.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0735.jpg
    DSC_0735.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC_0738.jpg
    DSC_0738.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0728.jpg
    DSC_0728.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 268
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Those are indeed very beautiful, John !!!!

Please, can you tell me what size tap you need for the Pelikan feed, and is that nib a 6 or a 5 or ?

jalbert

Those are indeed very beautiful, John !!!!

Please, can you tell me what size tap you need for the Pelikan feed, and is that nib a 6 or a 5 or ?

I don't use a tap for Pelikan nibs. I use the lathe to cut the threads inside the section For the nib unit. The m800 nib is about equivalent to a jowo #6 in terms of size.

magpens

Thanks, John. . I am not familiar with Pelikan nibs .... I'll try to do a search for them.

Rolandranch

Amazing work! I just finished a pen made from some very similar cellulose acetate just a few minutes ago. That vintage stuff comes out really nice. I only wish I could make them kitless like yours.

Last edited:

jalbert

Amazing work! I just finished a pen made from some very similar cellulose acetate just a few minutes ago. That vintage stuff comes out really nice. I only wish I could make them kitless like yours.

Thanks! As far as getting into kitless goes, Google is your friend. I see a lot of people getting put off because they don't know everything, but it's all out there. It just takes some poking around

OZturner

Magnificent Pens John,
Spectacular Profiles, and Proportions, though my Personal preference is for the smaller Finial.
Glorious Vintage Cellulose Acetate Blanks,
Superbly Turned, Threaded, Fitted and Finished.
Beautiful Sections, and Ink Windows.
Outstanding Craftsmanship.
Something to Wish For.
Brian.

SteveG

Hello John,
I really like your pens posted here. I am particularly interested to know if the nickel-silver material has enough 'spring' to stay tight as a clip. Those clips are beautiful, and that is one of many aspects of your pens that are truly standout. Nice work!
Aloha!

jalbert

Hello John,
I really like your pens posted here. I am particularly interested to know if the nickel-silver material has enough 'spring' to stay tight as a clip. Those clips are beautiful, and that is one of many aspects of your pens that are truly standout. Nice work!
Aloha!

While not really "springy", they are quite stiff and hold their shape and stay tight. They're work hardened through the forming process, so they will have enough spring to them to be able to clip over a shirt pocket or over thin material. I wouldn't advocate clipping over a jeans pocket or anywhere they will incur a lot of abuse, but then again the vast majority of pen collectors wouldn't dream of subjecting their pens to that.

Rolandranch

You can do it, Seth !!!!!

Thanks Mr. Philips!
Thanks! As far as getting into kitless goes, Google is your friend. I see a lot of people getting put off because they don't know everything, but it's all out there. It just takes some poking around

Thank you! After things settle down in a couple weeks, I'm going to figure out what I need and do this! I've been wanting to do kitless pens for a while... just trying to find the time right now. As you probably noticed, I've been inspired by your Instagram page. :biggrin: You do some amazing work.

jalbert

You can do it, Seth !!!!!

Thanks Mr. Philips!

Thank you! After things settle down in a couple weeks, I'm going to figure out what I need and do this! I've been wanting to do kitless pens for a while... just trying to find the time right now. As you probably noticed, I've been inspired by your Instagram page. :biggrin: You do some amazing work.

Thanks! It's a lot of fun. I've enjoyed the learning process and trying to come up with my own methods for accomplishing my designs. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it!

Top Bottom