Vintage 97' Macanudo Cigar Jr. Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Jr. Gent I adorned with Black Walnut, and BEB Ash. The Band is from Macanudo's 1997 Vintage Maduro Perfecto. 49 Ring IIRC. Much different process than the first one I made, and think it is more precise. Still not quite 100% satisfied with it, but very close. The band does have some weight to it, yet I love the weight when writing with it. Went with black walnut as the original cigar has a very, very dark leaf. This will be my current carry pen as I feel it needs some testing to see how it holds up, very confident in that though. Still have one extra band, used as support in a few photos, that will be made into another, complete with the original box, when I get around to it. Need to get some more light in my box there, but will do for the time being. C&C Welcome, and thanks in advance for your viewing time!

Attachments

• _MG_7540.jpg
    _MG_7540.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 311
  • _MG_7541.jpg
    _MG_7541.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 195
  • _MG_7546.jpg
    _MG_7546.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 173
  • _MG_7524.jpg
    _MG_7524.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 275
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I've never seen a cigar with a metal band but I like the look, especially when its paired plating on the nib.

jmbaker79

I've never seen a cigar with a metal band but I like the look, especially when its paired plating on the nib.

Thanks! Same boat here, as I had never seen one. Apparently in 97 they released this "vintage" and added the metal bands to the first 50,000, then switched to paper for the remainder. Believe they did it again in 2010.

jmbaker79

MY brother was given a whole box of these cigars for his birthday. He sent me all of the rings. I have been thinking about what to do with them.

Very nice,

Manny

Mail them to north carolina would be a good start! :) See alot of people hating on the gimmick of the band, but it was intended to stay on the cigar and used to hold it while smoking. Not a cigar smoker, anymore, but love the look and feel of the band, now if I can only find a few more, hint.

jmbaker79

Very nice work - i like the 'raw' walnut and the overall look.

However i wonder how comfortable it is to write with?

I agree with the raw walnut as I have never seen a ca shiny tobacco leaf. As far as writing with it, I think it is the most comfortable pen that I have made. the wood takes up all the space between the thumb and forefinger. The band contours and rest right where it should. Unless your like my wife who holds a pen with four fingers? or my high school principal who held a pen like you would a hammer....

seamus7227

This is just my opinion, but i bet that would look super cool if you could incorporate that band within the barrel of that pen, therefore giving a more flush look. just a thought!

of course, as i go back and look at how big that band is, that would make one gynormous pen barrel, nevermind that thought.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

jmbaker79

This is just my opinion, but i bet that would look super cool if you could incorporate that band within the barrel of that pen, therefore giving a more flush look. just a thought!

As in sink it down into the wood with just a little lip? The band is 1" in diameter, making for a pretty huge diameter pen....Guess it could be made in sections with tenons to go inside the band.? Wouldnt stay true to the original, but do agree it would look nice.

seamus7227

As in sink it down into the wood with just a little lip? The band is 1" in diameter, making for a pretty huge diameter pen....Guess it could be made in sections with tenons to go inside the band.? Wouldnt stay true to the original, but do agree it would look nice.

yeah that was my original thought, but 1" in diameter is pretty big. heck make a test piece and see, you never know till you try.:tongue:

jmbaker79

Nice job! I would have went with a FP, as that's my prefered nib, but still a striking pen!

Havent made a fountain pen yet...but would love to have done so for this one. Just need a little fountain pen experience. I read about them all the time, just need to jump in and make one, test it out, and see how it goes....Have another one of these to make, so perhaps it could be the first, or second as i like to assemble as intended first to see how a new kit works.

jmbaker79

yeah that was my original thought, but 1" in diameter is pretty big. heck make a test piece and see, you never know till you try.:tongue:

makes me think of what else could be done that way?........thats what I like about you, always make me think about what else could be done to bring things up one notch, dont get crazy though :)

Top Bottom