Vietnam service ribbon pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

jskeen

Haven't posted much here lately, thought I'd toss this one out there and see if it splashed. TI gold jr Gent with one of Jim's great cast ribbon bodies, and cap, finial and centerband from a piece of striped bloodwood. Comments welcome.

Attachments

• PICT0031-2.JPG
    PICT0031-2.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 307
  • PICT0034-2.JPG
    PICT0034-2.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 238
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeInMo

I like that. Nicely done.

This did bring an idea and question to mind. Would it be considered appropriate and respectful to create an "imitation" service ribbon pen? What I mean by this instead of casting an actual service ribbon like in this pen, laminate thin pieces of acrylic/dyed wood/etc to match the colors/pattern/width of a service ribbon with the rest of the pen made of bloodwood or some other wood. I have not served in the military and don't want to offend anyone, but I would think pens like this would make nice gifts. I hope this made sense.

angelofdeath

Cool looking pen...very well done...and I like the pen as a whole...you did a great job wtih it...and I think the bloodwood compliments well. thanks for sharing

jskeen

Mike;

I would see no reason that a laminated pen that mimics the color and pattern of a service ribbon would be inappropriate, or offensive to anyone. As a 5th generation veteran I am pretty sure that nobody would raise an eyebrow. After all, we make pens in the image of the flag, and that's a lot more particular in how it is handled and represented.
Now, the actual mechanics of making the blank may be a little more problematic. Some ribbons are more complicated than others, and the thread count for the thickness of the stripes is pretty precise, but it should be doable. Seems that I may have even seen one somewhere at one time. Can't remember, I've drank since then though.

If you give it a try, post the results :)

MikeInMo

Mike;

I would see no reason that a laminated pen that mimics the color and pattern of a service ribbon would be inappropriate, or offensive to anyone. As a 5th generation veteran I am pretty sure that nobody would raise an eyebrow. After all, we make pens in the image of the flag, and that's a lot more particular in how it is handled and represented.
Now, the actual mechanics of making the blank may be a little more problematic. Some ribbons are more complicated than others, and the thread count for the thickness of the stripes is pretty precise, but it should be doable. Seems that I may have even seen one somewhere at one time. Can't remember, I've drank since then though.

If you give it a try, post the results :)

I agree the mechanics of getting the thicknesses of each color correct could be a trick. I didn't figure anyone would be offended, but I thought I should ask before I went down the road of attempting it. The same thought about flag pens crossed my mind, but I could see this being very personal for some people and could hit a raw nerve potentially. I have not been in the mililtary, but a lot of my family and othes I know well are veterans or are still in the service (with one going to Afghanistan again this week). If I get this to work, I will post it.

W3DRM

I would suggest looking at the following link for details on the Vietnam Service Medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_Service_Medal

From that link you will find other links to many other service medals. They will give you images of the actual medal that you can use to design with. I am still looking for a site that gives exact colors of all medals/ribbons. I'm sure one exists, I just haven't been able to find it yet. The above link gives you dimensions and colors such as red, green and yellow but doesn't define what red, green, etc really mean graphically.

MikeInMo

I would suggest looking at the following link for details on the Vietnam Service Medal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_Service_Medal

From that link you will find other links to many other service medals. They will give you images of the actual medal that you can use to design with. I am still looking for a site that gives exact colors of all medals/ribbons. I'm sure one exists, I just haven't been able to find it yet. The above link gives you dimensions and colors such as red, green and yellow but doesn't define what red, green, etc really mean graphically.

Try this:
http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Awards/Ribbons/OrderofPrecedence.htm

Click on the one you are interested in, and it will give you the stripe widths and yarn colors.

Top Bottom