Video coming soon-gator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well the last couple days, I have been doing lots of video!! Even loaded the camera, so I had to download (7 gigs?).

Working on two projects, but this one is by far more fun than the other (Woodturners finish)!! This is turning the Gator jaw pen blanks from Tom Barron!!

Tom asked me to make a video, so I have shown drilling, and turning with the roughing gouge, skew and Rotundo carbide tool. I have to say it was fun to get different tools in my hands again.

The process is all "on tape", but I was impressed with the still pictures that will start and end the videos. Hope you enjoy them too!!

Hardware is the Triton Rollerball in chrome and tiGold.

Attachments

• gator1.jpg
    gator1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Gator1closed.jpg
    Gator1closed.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 236
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Phil!!!

I DID blow one up, too!!! Ed knows how NOT to turn pens, as a result!!

Edit in: I learned more on the blank that did NOT turn into a pen and the video will be better because of it!! Tom has given me his permission to use a couple blanks---as a result I will be much more useful to those who ask questions!!

And---I HAVE HAD FUN!!!!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Phil!!!

I DID blow one up, too!!! Ed knows how NOT to turn pens, as a result!!

And I bet I know why! But the patience you excercised with this one is evident, buddy!

My real concern is the video. You kept it close up on only the turning, right? :biggrin:

Fear not my wiseacre friend---=-THERE ARE NO "STASH" SHOTS!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Drilling" will be available soon.

"Turning" may be several parts--I used a roughing gouge, skew and carbide tool. Also need to emphasize the use of thin CA====Bone is pourous, if you use CA to fill those pores and keep the bone together better, the whole process progresses more easily.

AND it makes the finished pen look shinier!! CA polishes very well as long as you have removed the dust before you use the CA!!

So, I hope to have a couple more done today---we'll see!!

alamocdc

Nice video, Ed! I noticed that you chose not to use any kind of lubricant/cooler. I usually don't either, but I go slow. That blank was smoking pretty good at the end. Are you not worried abour rhar kind of heat? And if not, why? I always worry that internal stresses from heat will cause a failure when turning.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice video, Ed! I noticed that you chose not to use any kind of lubricant/cooler. I usually don't either, but I go slow. That blank was smoking pretty good at the end. Are you not worried abour rhar kind of heat? And if not, why? I always worry that internal stresses from heat will cause a failure when turning.

Well Billy!!

I try not to argue with any point of view in turning--but here is my "take" on heat.

For the first several years I turned pens, I had no idea how to sharpen a drill bit. In fact, it never occurred to me that my bits were dull---everything I drilled would smoke as it was drilled. Yet, I made hundreds of pens that were fine. I readily admit those were "pedestrian" materials by today's standards---AA, gemstone, acrylester. NOTHING embedded, that was not yet discovered as a technique.

Now, I DO lubricate some drilling operations and I do sharpen my bits regularly. And, if I am using Lucite or celluloid I am sensitive to the heat issue. But, with Polyresin and bone--TO ME!!!!! "No worries, mate!!"

I will let the blank cool for an hour or so before I put a tube in it and certainly it has to be cool before you use CA on it or the tube will seize before it is all the way into the blank.

I am also careful with antler and horns.

Paraphrasing Chasper:"May be wrong, but never in doubt!"

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Turning with the roughing gouge" is uploading now--YouTube says about 15 minutes.

There must be a TON of people uploading vids today, I have never had a 4 minute video take more than 10 minutes to upload----UNTIL today.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Ed, would love to see you and Dawn do a casting video to help out us novices. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Thanks for the compliment, but Dawn has not had time to do anything at home. IF she gets a chance to cast it will be for "get em done" which is seldom "pretty" for the camera.

And you would be amazed how little she does that follows a formula. Her method is---sit down, watch TV or Computer for 5 minutes or so, jump up, run to the kitchen and pour or cuss (depending on whether it is just gelling or it is a rock!)
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

tkbarron

Nice video Ed!

I love drilling gator blanks on a lathe. For me, it's a lot easier to drill dead center on a lathe than it is on a press.

Tom

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Ron!!

I finished turning the blank with a skew and then a carbide tool (rotundo) with a round cutter.

The only necessity is that your tool is sharp. I changed skews when one was not cutting very well, the second one did great!! (fresh edge)

Bone is hard, but consistent. SOME is porous---I can't stress enough the need to stop regularly and add thin CA.

As an old friend said, "I know EXACTLY the right moment to add CA---10 seconds too late!!" Better to be a minute early than a second late!!!

I would NOT suggest rounding the blank with a carbide tool, though. Take the corners off on a belt sander if you are not comfortable with a large roughing gouge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom