Very special watch parts pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

bmac

Another pen casting with Liquid Diamonds resin and watch parts. This is a very special pen, as the parts came from the watch that belonged to my Father who passed away on Sept 10 1972 at 4:20 pm. I incorporated these details in laying out the parts for casting. The time on the watch is set to 4:20 and the date is set on the 10th. The watch had stopped working years ago and I think this a fitting way to make use of the watch and to have something that can be used and passed from generation to generation.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• Bennell McCarley5.jpg
    Bennell McCarley5.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Dad's watch pen.jpg
    Dad's watch pen.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Dad's watch pen 2.jpg
    Dad's watch pen 2.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Dad's watch pen 3.jpg
    Dad's watch pen 3.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 263
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, I can only applaud the thought and sentiment behind the making of this pen, the tell tell marks that your father was important and loved by you, I only wish I could say the same about mine...!:frown:

Thank for sharing your magnificent work and its significance...!

Cheers
George

bmac

Thanks for all of the comments, they are appreciated. This is something I have been wanting to do for quite some time. I was only 17 when my Mother passed and 19 when my Father passed and as with most kids growing up, I did not take the time to "listen" to what our parents, grandparents, elders at that time were telling us, teaching us or showing us how to be better and responsible individuals. I would say to anyone whose parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles that are still living, take a moment to set down with them, talk to them, "listen" to them, learn from them before it is too late. You might be surprised at what you could learn from them. I would give anything to be able to do that now.

Bobby
Louisiana

PFMan

My passion about fountain pens started with a family memory... This is an awesome tribute!

jttheclockman

This is something I too would like to do. My father always had a watch on and I have a bunch of his old ones that broke. I wanted to learn the process of watch blank making before I tried it and now that I believe I have it to be confident enough I too will try to put a couple together for the members of the family. A nice keepsake for sure.

You should be proud and job well done.

bsshog40

Wow, that is awesome. I can appreciate something like that. My dad passed about 3 yrs ago. I found an old pocketwatch in his stuff. I learned how to work on them and finally got his running. Got me in to my other hobby of collecting vintage watches. Very nice work!

FrankH

I've been thinking about making a watch pen using the watch my parents gave me for HS graduation 62 years ago. The back of the watch has an inscription that I would like to incorporate in he pen, it is substantial metal. Can someone suggest a way to "thin" the back so I could bend the part with the inscription around the pen tube?

jttheclockman

I've been thinking about making a watch pen using the watch my parents gave me for HS graduation 62 years ago. The back of the watch has an inscription that I would like to incorporate in he pen, it is substantial metal. Can someone suggest a way to "thin" the back so I could bend the part with the inscription around the pen tube?

Belt sander or if you are good with the lathe make a jig to hold the back and use a scraper to thin down or a carbide cutter. I happened to use a detail gouge on this one. You have to get creative. I have turned down coins both ways so it works.

Attachments

• IMGP0804.JPG
    IMGP0804.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 126

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Another method is to use turners glue (or even CA) to hold it on a backing faceplate.
I haven't ever had luck using a belt sander....before you can say..'Oh crap!!'...I have often sanded one side too thin.
I now use elbow grease....sprinkle a bit of water on a flat smooth surface and this will hold down a sheet of wet and dry paper....about 180 grit... Now just slowly but surely do figure of eight passes and it will thin down .
A blob of blu-tack or hot melt glue on it will help you hold it.

Top Bottom