A very special pen for a special person

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RodNeep

RodNeep

A very special pen....

Starting with some of my favourite soapstone from Kenya, mounted into a pen blank chuck from Jim at Pencrafts. These chucks are really excellent, and this particular job couldn't have been done without one.

First we drill the "small" hole... 15/32" in the long tube.
ppm01.jpg

Next onto the short blank, and the big hole. First a 7mm pilot hole
and then the big drill mounted and ready to go...

ppm03.jpg

Done.... and not a lot of wall thickness remaining after drilling out with the 37/64" drill.

ppm04.jpg

This is the other end of the hole. No break out thankfully!
The drilling job would not have been possible without that pen blank chuck.

ppm05.jpg

Next... those big tubes glued in with thick CA.

ppm06.jpg

Mounted on a mandrel, and sitting on part open vice cheeks, while I use a big coarse rasp to remove the corners.

ppm08.jpg

There's no sense in slowly turning the blanks round, when you can take off bulk stone with the rasp, getting them roughly round. And here they are mounted on the lathe before turning.

ppm10.jpg

Turning the soapstone (I use a gouge) is now pretty easy. Sand, and then micromesh, and a final polish on the lathe, and soon assembly is under way....

ppm11.jpg

And all done...

ppm12.jpg

pp01.jpg

ppm14.jpg

ppm17.jpg

Detail of the ends

ppm18.jpg

pp02.jpg

ppm16.jpg

Alas, I no longer have this pen to hold. It is already in London, along with three other pens.

ppm19.jpg

The recipient is a young man who, like me, has spent quite a lot of time in Kenya. It was there that he became engaged. So I thought that pens made of Kenyan stone would be appropriate. There's an every day use ballpoint pen for him and his bride to be, a desk fountain pen in the same stone, and lastly, an identical fountain pen made of ivory polyester. A wedding pen.

His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton will be married on Friday 29th April this year.

This is the wedding pen in more detail...

prince-wedding-01.jpg

prince-wedding-04.jpg

prince-wedding-07.jpg

Actually, I made two of these...
prince-wedding-08.jpg

It is a really big pen!
Seen here against a normal fountain pen for comparison.

prince-wedding-comp1.jpg

I had a lovely letter of thanks back from the palace too. :)

Rod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

What a wonderful story and a generous gift. You have a good heart Rod. The pens are beautiful - all of them. It was also nice of you to post your method of turning these stones here for all of us!

Hubert H

I'm a wood person - only wood, BUT those pens are very elegant and I can't think of anyone, including the Royal's who wouldn't be very happy with them. NICE - really nice.

greggas

Rod;

Great post...interesting to see how you handled the stone and great story too.

Very unique stone...is it hard to come by?

RodNeep

I'm a wood person - only wood, BUT those pens are very elegant and I can't think of anyone, including the Royal's who wouldn't be very happy with them. NICE - really nice.

:wink: I am very much a "wood" person too, and very, very rarely use plastics.
But I would always be happy to make the exception with stone, which is another natural material. It is gorgeous stuff to work with, and always produces a superb result.

Cheers
Rod

RodNeep

Beautiful pens and great work! I love the soapstone! Can you share where you get it?

I have visted Kenya many times, and I have a contact there who lives in the tiny village where they dig it out of a hole in the ground.

onsongo7.jpg

The "problem" with soapstone is that it varies a lot. This stuff from Kenya is quite hard, which is a good thing for turning and polishing. You can't scratch it with a fingernail. I have tried stone from the USA, Australia and Canada which is much softer. I would note also that some of the soapstone from California also contains some asbestos, and that isn't good to turn with.

My contact in Kenya sends me 20 pieces at a time, with different colours and patterns. The main problem is that although it is cheap to buy (about $1.50 per blank) it is expensive to ship due to its weight. Very expensive! Which puts the cost up to around $7.50 per blank.

Personally, I think that it is worth it! In fact, the pen that I use myself on a daily basis is a stone pen with a mixture of greys and reds, and even has some small grains of gold included!

0514-ellwoodstone1.jpg

0514-ellwoodstone2.jpg

0514-ellwoodstone3.jpg

Regards
Rod

Last edited:
Top Bottom