Vertex click aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from johnnycnc

johnnycnc

This is my first Vertex clicker, gun metal finish.
I went with a custom made aluminum blank, and decided
that I didn't care for the size of the blank in relation to the fittings.
So, I turned the blank to about .500" (bushings are .430") to give it a little
more substantial look. I then tapered the ends on 10° to transition to the kit
fittings which are round. I think it gives a more even look than the .430" cylinder, and a different look than the middle swell.
Finish is very basic...sanded wet to 600 grit and it has a more brushed look,
which is sutable for my new work/shop pen. It's going to get abused, so what's the point in a mirror finish? :rolleyes:

Hope you like it, comments and criticisms all welcome.
1_IMG_0140-1.JPG

Thanks for lookin'!
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

John, That looks very cool. Hopefully it will hold up to your daily abuse... Nicely Done..

wizard

John, That's a beautiful pen and the contrasting finishes makes it even more so. I saw your other aluminum pens in your photo album and they are awesome too! Thanks for showing!

johncrane

Looks good with the Ali blank Johnny! also using a Ali blank you could recess both ends and go a tad bigger just another brain f--t, also Johnny what drills do you find works best on Ali.:biggrin:

Last edited:

johnnycnc

Thanks everyone!

John, I use whatever is available for the drill, just standard metalworking bits.
I don't size the hole with the drill, in case you are wondering. There are special order reamers I use for that.

Thanks everyone!

John, I use whatever is available for the drill, just standard metalworking bits.
I don't size the hole with the drill, in case you are wondering. There are special order reamers I use for that.

I like it John. You wouldn't happen to have that "special order reamer" for the Longwood Click pen kit, would you? Just a thought.

How about the Shop/Artist's pencil kit? Now that in Aluminum would be macho.

Last edited:

IPD_Mrs

Johnny,

Did a good job with those transitions and I agree with you on the finish issue. For your use going with a bit more bulk makes perfect sense... for my smaller hand you probably could have gotten away with the normal bushing size just fine. Of course - I don't like that particular kit personally - but that isn't to say that others with smaller hands wouldn't so just a thought :rolleyes: All in all very nice job - as usual!

Linda

johnnycnc

Thanks everyone!

I like it John. You wouldn't happen to have that "special order reamer" for the Longwood Click pen kit, would you? Just a thought.

How about the Shop/Artist's pencil kit? Now that in Aluminum would be macho.

Thanks Larry!
Yeah, an artist pencil would be a manly item for sure, big as it is!:biggrin:

I don't know about those kits for sure but I'll pm you with what i know on them.

johnnycnc

Johnny,

Did a good job with those transitions and I agree with you on the finish issue. For your use going with a bit more bulk makes perfect sense... for my smaller hand you probably could have gotten away with the normal bushing size just fine. Of course - I don't like that particular kit personally - but that isn't to say that others with smaller hands wouldn't so just a thought :rolleyes: All in all very nice job - as usual!

Linda

Thanks Linda,
I am not a huge fan of the looks of this kit either, but I do enjoy a good clicker as they are so much easier for me to use at work;
I do a lot of signing on the fly! I've never had a kit pen hold up for more than 6 months at work without getting either a) trashed or b) stolen.
So it's doomed but I'll let it think it is the boss for now.
As for the bigger size blank, you know us guys..bigger is always better!:biggrin:

Top Bottom