Version 2 Scalops and segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

Here is another version on the scallops and segments. It is hard to see in the photo but the segments at the center band and at the bottom of the body are 12 segments rings glued into a checkerboard type pattern.

As always comment and critiques are appreciated.
20061484315_BCOpen2.jpg

20061484331_BCClosed1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Gosh your getting good at this! Very nice.
If I may make a suggestion on the design without it being taken wrong?[:I]
Drop the scallops down the barrel the same distance that the cap overlaps the barrel. This way the scallops will begin at the bottom of the cap so that people can thoroughly enjoy your work.
Just a thought.[;)]

dubdrvrkev

Another beaut Mike. I'd like to see the scallops repeated a few times down the barrel.
Not that I could do anything like that though. [}:)] Nice work.

Deere41h

Mike that's a beauty!!! I suggest you send it to me so that I can make a more accurate comments on it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Wonderful Mike, The design is really sharp.

Dan and Ron Mc hinted about the closed pen. I think if the cap is a little shorter to completly show the scallops would work as well.

What pen kit did you start with?

I'm also working on a scalloped pen blank. It's pretty fun to work on.

JimGo

Mike, that looks really cool, and very distinctive. I agree that some minor design changes may be advantageous, but over all, it's really a fantastic display of both artisanship and craftsmanship.

vick

Jeff - The inlay was a white plastic home for sale sign I got at Lowes.
Ron - This was made from a Snap cap kit

For all that thought the whole scallop should be shown, with the snap cap kit you can actually adjust the depth it sits in by screwing or unscrewing the snap mechanism in the cap. So that could be acomplished with out changing the design.

Thanks for the critiques and comments everyone. I have one more in this style that I am working on now, and then off to a different theme.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Mike,
I couldn't make anything near that, so critiquing is difficult. Having said that, I find that when the pen is closed the difference in sizes between the upper and lower tubes is distracting. Lovely pen, otherwise.

vick

Nancy - The answer is I didn't. None of the joints had any sanding done to them, this includes the 12 segmented rings. I spent some time and a little bit of money and built a sled that has an adjustable arm on it to hold my work at the correct angles. With the sled and a good saw blade the cuts are glue ready. I did however have to cut a few test rings to get the angle on the segmented rings dead on.

Bill - You would be suprised at how easy it is to make this with a good angle sled. One of the side effect of killing the center band on these kits is I have to drill out a steped hole to seat the metal trim ring by the nib into. Since the hole has to be slightly larger than the diameter of the trim ring the cap has to get a little larger. I have had others comment that they were not fond of it as well but it is trade I am willing to make to make the clip to only visible "hardware" on the closed pen. I personally do not love the shape of the cap on this and I believe that might be causing it to look a bit odd.

punkinn

Originally posted by vick
<br />Nancy - The answer is I didn't. None of the joints had any sanding done to them, this includes the 12 segmented rings. I spent some time and a little bit of money and built a sled that has an adjustable arm on it to hold my work at the correct angles. With the sled and a good saw blade the cuts are glue ready.

Wow! [:0][:)]

Nancy

Check out this book, it will give you plans on a sled and some ideas for segmented turning.

http://tahoeturner.com/book.html

And if you get a chance check out his gallery

punkinn

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Nancy

Check out this book, it will give you plans on a sled and some ideas for segmented turning.

http://tahoeturner.com/book.html

And if you get a chance check out his gallery

Wow again &lt;-- in multiples. lol Thanks Ron, that's really incredible.

Nancy

Randy_

Vick: Very nice work!! Personally, I like a pen that has a little decorative touch on the finial. I imagine it would be a bit tricky; but I wonder if you have considered repeating the scallop or checkerboard pattern in the finial??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom