Veneer Inlay Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penl8the

Penl8the

It is my first attempt using veneer inlay or veneer banding. There are still improvements in making the joints seamless.

Not sure what all the woods are in the inlay, but I think the back of the pen is birch.

CA glued the veneer inlay on the tube. Lightly sanded with 400 grit. Many coats of CA with steel wool buffing in between coats. Polished with HUT.

Thanks for looking.

cimg1408gimp.jpg

cimg1409gimp.jpg

cimg1412gimp.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG1408(gimp).JPG
    CIMG1408(gimp).JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 230
  • CIMG1409(gimp).JPG
    CIMG1409(gimp).JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 179
  • CIMG1412(gimp).JPG
    CIMG1412(gimp).JPG
    87 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It is my first attempt using veneer inlay or veneer banding. There are still improvements in making the joints seamless.

Not sure what all the woods are in the inlay, but I think the back of the pen is birch.

CA glued the veneer inlay on the tube. Lightly sanded with 400 grit. Many coats of CA with steel wool buffing in between coats. Polished with HUT.

Thanks for looking
Hi Branden; I take it you are gluing the veneer to the tube. That's most likely the reason for the joints showing.

Have you considered inlaying the veneer on all 4 sides of the blank while the blank is square. Then turn it, or am I missing something?

KenV

Brandon -- the veneer followed by clear PR casting may be the best approach to production. Looks good and will give you some great opportunities.

wiset1

Wild looking pen. Such a great use of material and you can see the love that went into it.

Penl8the

Have you considered inlaying the veneer on all 4 sides of the blank while the blank is square. Then turn it, or am I missing something?

I thought about that too, but didn't think it would work because the veneer is only about 1/16' thick.

The veneer on the 4 sides will be long gone before the blank is even rounded off.

jttheclockman

I like the idea. Not sure of the approach. Are you glueing the veneer straight to the tubes and then CA finish??? Or are you top coating with resin??? I would be worried if using the first method of the veneer pulling away from the tube. The second may lock it in better. Looks like a tedious project to get the measurements just right. Thanks for showing.

louie68

Very nice looking pen!!!
What is the name of the pen kit,and where did you purchase it?

navycop

Thanks for looking.

cimg1408gimp.jpg

cimg1409gimp.jpg

cimg1412gimp.jpg
I am confused. Did you just glue the veneer to the tube then wrap and glue the birch to the tube?

Penl8the

I am confused. Did you just glue the veneer to the tube then wrap and glue the birch to the tube?

No you are not that confused. You got order of gluing correctly.

I drew a line along the tube with a white pencil crayon. So that I could line up and glued the "left" piece of veneer inlay parallel to the tube. After that I just glued the right piece, then the birch.

Top Bottom