Variation on a Theme

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BryanJon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanJon

Hello All,
First picture posted and first real attempt at segmenting work. Not a great picture, sorry. Cigar pen , with desert ironwood, mesquite and purpleheart. Ca finish with ren wax. It does not show in the picture but it is a dipped in glass finish.
(thanks Ron for the M.A. tutorial )
Bryan Jon
2006430143210_texmex1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BryanJon

Thank you for all the comments. I have learned so much from everyone here.
William , in person it looks great on the cigar kit. I am not a rollerball user , so I wanted to try it on the cigar. [;)] What kit might you suggest for this type of work.
I have another one glued up and ready to go on a Baron kit.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bryan Jon,

Good question. It just seemed to me that the center components broke up your segmentation. I would like to see it on a Sierra or the Atlas/Polaris style. I like your segmentation work, just didn't care for the effect of breaking it up with the center band.

Consider my advice worth exactly what it cost! [:D]

BryanJon

I have yet to try a Sierra kit,perhaps soon. I did the segment work as two seperate blanks. Perhaps next time I will not use purpleheart towards the center. Thank you again

BryanJon

Thank you Bob. Great looking Baron you made. I decided to forgo the checker blank as I wanted to try the design with some different woods. I really like Ron's Grand Illusion theme.
Bryan Jon

angboy

What is the dipped in glass finish??

I like it a lot. I can understand what William's saying- makes perfect sense. But I do personally like the pens that are more funky and non-traditional, but I'd guess I'm probably in the minority! (After all, I think I'm about the only person who likes the gemini pen kit!) [:D]

BryanJon

A dipped in glass finish , to me, is just that. It appears that the pen has been dipped in glass. ( I am a guitar player so I guess that is where that saying comes from)
I like funky too. I love the Gisi's work as well.

angboy

Originally posted by BryanJon
<br />A dipped in glass finish , to me, is just that. It appears that the pen has been dipped in glass. ( I am a guitar player so I guess that is where that saying comes from)
I like funky too. I love the Gisi's work as well.

OK, I get it now! (I can be a little dense at times!) I thought it was some other type of finish in addition to the CA and renwax. It does certainly look like it was dipped in glass!

Ron Mc

Bryan,
Your idea is one of my favorite pen blanks to make. Just grab some blanks and start cutting / flipping / cutting / and gluing. As you can see on my site I do very few segmented cigar pens but after taking a look at your I may give it a go.
Very nicely done.[:D]Your glue joints look good and the finish is fantastic.
If I may ask you a question in regards to the construction of this particular blank. Did you drill the blanks before cutting and then build the puzzle on the tube like in the tutorial?

BryanJon

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Bryan,
Your idea is one of my favorite pen blanks to make. Just grab some blanks and start cutting / flipping / cutting / and gluing. As you can see on my site I do very few segmented cigar pens but after taking a look at your I may give it a go.
Very nicely done.[:D]Your glue joints look good and the finish is fantastic.
If I may ask you a question in regards to the construction of this particular blank. Did you drill the blanks before cutting and then build the puzzle on the tube like in the tutorial?

Ron
Thank you for the kind words! Coming from you I take them as one of the highest compliments. I went the puzzle route, as in the tutorial. I am working on one right now, that uses different angled cuts and each piece of wood is turned a quarter turn on the tube , then glued.
I did not the lack of segmented cigars, so I figured why not try it. I am going to do a Havana ballpoint next as well(as soon as the kits arrive) and replace the metal CB with some wood as part of the segmenting. Ron thank you for the inspiration!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom