Van Gogh black and white rare afzelia burl and two faces beefwood!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Since i got sick of turning two tubes pens, I decided to go with with something easier. :)

The blank used for this pen cost me quite a lot, It was the size of the knife handle and I have enough material for making two pens.

The wood was not stabilized, was really nutty, with voids and really soft. Turned it with CA, kinda like antler! However, I managed to cut at the right spot and I scored a really nice pen! Two of my friends told me it looked like a Van Gogh painting, I will let you be the judge. ;)

Clicky the thumbnails!

When I got that afzelia, the seller sent me a few extra pieces of nice woods, including this beefwood in two tones! :)

Thanks for looking,

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
van Gogh???

I don't know enough about van Gogh to comment on whether your pen looks like one of his paintings, but I'll bet you'll get a lot of "Is that really wood?" comments.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Super looking pens and real quality craftsmanship. That is one of my favorite kits too. What camera are you using? The pictures you post are some of the best I've seen and without a tripod yet. Super work.
WB

PaulDoug

That first one is just a beautiful piece of wood and I wish you had used it to make a kit that shows more wood and less metal. I'm one of the few that doesn't use that type of kit very often, just for that reason. I like to see the wood more than metal. Just my preference. You did a nice job on the finishes also.

CharlesH

Hey thanks!

I am with you on that one! Less hardware, more wood and the darker is the kit, the better it is! :biggrin:

The piece of wood I have is too short for two tubes pens. That being said, that's the only kit I thought was worth the piece of wood!

Charles

That first one is just a beautiful piece of wood and I wish you had used it to make a kit that shows more wood and less metal. I'm one of the few that doesn't use that type of kit very often, just for that reason. I like to see the wood more than metal. Just my preference. You did a nice job on the finishes also.

CharlesH

Hey WB,

I am using a ordinary camera, a Panasonic DMC-TZ5. It's a point and shoot camera type, to my limited knowledge it's not the best type of camera to make nice macro shots. I cannot really play with the settings as they are all set up and they are not meant to be customized.

That being said, to my experience, I believe the best way to make photos is to go outside. As some said before, I should get my hands out of the way, but I am not really bothering until I get a better camera after all it's a hand made product. :biggrin:

So usually I shoot about 50 pictures of every pen on burst mode and one of the usually get really focused and clear. Going under the trees where some of the sun pierce through the leaves is my favorite way of taking pictures. What's important in my mind is showing the wood grain and the finish on the pen. I really like seeing a nice reflection through all the length of the pen.

Charles

Super looking pens and real quality craftsmanship. That is one of my favorite kits too. What camera are you using? The pictures you post are some of the best I've seen and without a tripod yet. Super work.
WB

Top Bottom