USS Oriskany Pens for Two Brothers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fireengines

Fireengines

I made these two pens for two brothers who served on the USS Oriskany (CV/CVA- 34).

One brother was onboard when the fire broke out on 26 October 1966. The other brother flew off the carrier during Vietnam and was part of the Navy's Blue Angels later in his carrier.

These pens were made from wood off the Oriskany.

Sorry, I have no blanks for sale.

Attachments

• USS Oriskany Vietnam.jpg
    USS Oriskany Vietnam.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

I made these two pens for two brothers who served on the USS Oriskany (CV/CVA- 34).

One brother was onboard when the fire broke out on 26 October 1966. The other brother flew off the carrier during Vietnam and was part of the Navy's Blue Angels later in his carrier.

These pens were made from wood off the Oriskany.

Sorry, I have no blanks for sale.

Larry, Those are beautiful pens! Very tboughtful of you as usual!

Fireengines

It is Douglas Fir. Originally, the Oriskany had a Douglas Fir flight deck. However, with the introduction of jet aircraft, the Douglas Fir was laminated with Teak ONLY in the areas subject to the greats wear of the jet aircraft landing a takeoffs. ... Reference "All Hands Magazine"

Since Douglas Fir, specifically wood from the Northwest, was so inexpensive and plentiful it was used in other parts of carriers at that time. Remember, construction of the Oriskany began in 1944 and the US was still at war with Japan. According to Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC), "The major sources of teak (Burma, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand) were occupied by the Japanese."

Last edited:

showcaser

I knew about the Douglas Fir,however your certificate reads teak. Thought you would like to fix that.

Fireengines

I grabbed the wrong COA.

I corrected the COA in the photo with the following :

This certificate attest to the fact the wood contained in this handcrafted item was removed fro the US Navy's aircraft carrier USS Oriskany (CV/CVA 34) prior to being sunk as part of a pilot program to create artificial reefs in 2006"

Notice I replace the U.S.S. with USS. USS is the official acronym. However, the should a dash before the hull number.

Burb

Those are beautiful pens. I love all military historical pens.

That ballpoint kit looks different to me. Is it a common kit sold in the US?

Very nice pens Larry, and very nice sentiment. The recipients I'm sure will hold these pens with high regard.
You mentioned in your thread that you don't have any more wood for sale. I'm going to be working on some Battle Ship pens in January and was wondering if you know of any place that carries different U.S. ships wood? I was trying to get a piece of the USS Texas but got zero responses from probably 10 emails sent.

Top Bottom