USS New Jersey Teak Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fireengines

Fireengines

Here is a "Stretch" pen kit from LauLau using crosscut teak decking off the Battleship USS New Jersey.

The teak is a bargain at $5.00 each. The width varies, nothing I purchased is under 1" wide and some 1.25". With some creative cutting, you can get two blanks out of the wider pieces.

If you contact the Ship's Store, you can purchase as many planks as you want.

Here is the link to purchase:

Battleship New Jersey

Attachments

• New Jersey Streach 2.jpg
    New Jersey Streach 2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 201
  • New Jersey Streach 1.jpg
    New Jersey Streach 1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I like this alot. The kit goes perfect with it. Teak can be boring but this has some grain and some character to it. How did you finish it??? Teak is an oily wood so it is a good candidate to just do a thin coat of finish and let the wood feel come through. May have to pick some of this up. Thanks for the link and showing of the pen.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I like this alot. The kit goes perfect with it. Teak can be boring but this has some grain and some character to it. How did you finish it??? Teak is an oily wood so it is a good candidate to just do a thin coat of finish and let the wood feel come through. May have to pick some of this up. Thanks for the link and showing of the pen.
i would expect teak from the deck of the BB 62 to be pretty dry from age and scrubbed so many times that the oils might not be a factor. I made a pen for a guy with a piece of teak from a boat he had once owned thirty years before and it was like working any other well dried wood.

Fireengines

This teak is exceptionally oily. It was removed from Battleship New Jersey during her deck restoration, so it is not the original deck.

I used Doctor's Woodshop Pens Plus friction polish five coats.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I like the cross cut. Makes it more interesting to me. You turned it nicely. My brother served on that ship up to decommission. He even got to stone the decks. I can't believe it' still oily. Thanks for posting the pen and the link. I shall have to order some. Do they come with certificates?

Top Bottom