USS Des Moines (CA-134) Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fireengines

Fireengines

The USS Des Moines (CA-134) was ordered during World War II, but did not enter service until 1948. It's displacement of over 17,000 tons, and armament of nine 8 inch guns, made it as powerful as some of the first modern battleships of 40 years earlier. The Des Moines class ships were the largest cruisers ever built. She was the last all-gun cruiser built.

The Des Moines was decommissioned in 1961, and removed from the naval reserve in 1991.

This pen was crafted using the original teak wood decking off the Des Moines. The pen kit, the American made stainless steel Eagle Rollerball covered with teak oil. The finish is Doctor's Woodshop High Build Friction Polish.

I wanted the user of this pen to "feel the history."

Attachments

• USS Des Moines Pen 1.jpg
    USS Des Moines Pen 1.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 633
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

I got it from an acquaintance who had a single board sitting outside since the mid 1990's. I traded it for making some pens for him.

Sometimes, The Navy Leaque can help you find wood off ships. Veterans groups like the VFW and DAV can help too. You can also contact the curator of a museum ship they may be able to help. However, for the most part the original decking was replaced with pine or some other material years ago. Most of the time the origianl decking and was in poor condition when they took possesson of the vessel and was sadly just tossed. I only got a few scraps off the USS Iowa.

You never know what you are going to find by just showing off a pen to someone. As an example, I mentioned I make pens out of historic woods to another acquintance. A few weeks later she gave me a piece of pine from the original Pabst Blue Ribbon Brew House. Beleive it or not, riding public transfortation can yield some positive results!

I purchased my USS Wisconsin teak wood decking off Ebay. According to the seller, he forgot he had it until he saw his son starting to use it as a junk piece of wood. Note do an Ebay search for "USS teak" for best results.

I got some Sinker Pine wood from the Mobile Bay that wasused to make "Liberty Ships" during WWII by simply calling a companythat specializes in reclaimed wood. This is really ugly wood that has a unique, almost black, color because of its contact with the wather.

Finally, you can do a search on the Internet for historical sights that are being reinvented. Once you find one, go to the city's website and find out who is doing the reinvention and give them a call.

Last edited:

PAbernathy

I was given an award made from the same deck material from the U.S.S North Carolina. I have plans to do the same thing with it...just trying to determine the right kit to use. Very nicely done.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The USS Des Moines (CA-134) was ordered during World War II, but did not enter service until 1948. It's displacement of over 17,000 tons, and armament of nine 8 inch guns, made it as powerful as some of the first modern battleships of 40 years earlier. The Des Moines class ships were the largest cruisers ever built. She was the last all-gun cruiser built.

The Des Moines was decommissioned in 1961, and removed from the naval reserve in 1991.

This pen was crafted using the original teak wood decking off the Des Moines. The pen kit, the American made stainless steel Eagle Rollerball covered with teak oil. The finish is Doctor's Woodshop High Build Friction Polish.

I wanted the user of this pen to "feel the history."
The "Desi Lou" was the flagship of the 6th fleet during both of my Med Cruises in the late 50's. I was on a tin can and we sailed with the Des Moines many times in 1957 and again in 1958/59.

Top Bottom