Using a few scraps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

Last weekend we had Turn-Fest 2009 here on the Gold Coast with both international and local turners demonstrating that was fantastic. Whilst attending the sessions on surface texturing, I noticed the scraps of wood that were being used for the burning and texturing were Coolabah Burl and Red Mallee Burl slices ~5/8" thick. They had fantastic grain and hating to see these scraps go to waste, I asked the demonstrator (Glenn Roberts) if I could have them when the workshop was over, and he said yes :tongue:.

The Red Mallee slices were at the join of the sapwood to the heartwood and the grain had a feather type pattern, so I sliced the blank to capture this grain, but only got 2 short blanks from the 2 slices. I got 5 from the Coolabah slices, so 1 spare, but I ended up needing it :redface:.

I decided the blanks warranted more than slimlines, so decided on a pair of Rhodium JR Gents for the Coolabah and a Gold Baron for the Red Mallee, and risk the drilling. The drill size is slightly smaller for the Baron to minimize the risk of a blow-out since I didn't have a spare. I did end up blowing out one of the JR Gent lid blanks with the ½" drill, so lucky I had a spare.

All finished with CA, sanded to 12000 and polished with plastic polish. What can I say, they turned out fantastic, not bad from scraps :biggrin:.

Cheers

Attachments

• glenn roberts coolibah burl.jpg
    glenn roberts coolibah burl.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 116
  • glenn roberts mallee burl.jpg
    glenn roberts mallee burl.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 122
  • scraps set 1.jpg
    scraps set 1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Red mallee 1.JPG
    Red mallee 1.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 135
  • coolabah set.JPG
    coolabah set.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
One mans junk is another mans treasure! That proves the point! Smashing pens, great work, now with patting ya on the shoulder you can lend me one hahahha....

Top Bottom