Used an Armor Piercing .............

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

50 caliber projectile as the nib for this rifle cartridge cross twist ballpoint pen.
Sure was fun drilling out the tungsten carbide projectile on my General International wood lathe.
Projectile and casing was cleaned, polished and has 4 coats of lacquer applied using my "Dipping Method.

Les

DSC08338.jpg

DSC08358.jpg

DSC08361.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Now that ought to get someone's attention. Nice work!

Is the bullet a loose slip fit so that it is held in place by the transmission's friction fit? If not, how does it twist?

SDB777

Wow! Drilling an AP round.....eck! How long did that take?

I really like the finished product, looks just as good as the AMAX projectile when finished!

Scott

lorbay

50 caliber projectile as the nib for this rifle cartridge cross twist ballpoint pen.
Sure was fun drilling out the tungsten carbide projectile on my General International wood lathe.
Projectile and casing was cleaned, polished and has 4 coats of lacquer applied using my "Dipping Method.

Les

DSC08338.jpg

DSC08358.jpg

DSC08361.jpg

Yep I only did one of those, now I use tracer rounds, way easier.
Nice pen Les.

Lin.

Sylvanite

The pen looks great, Les.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but are you sure that's an AP bullet? It looks like a M2 Ball projectile to me. The M2 Ball still has a steel core which can be challenging to drill. I used to drill them on a wood lathe, but the tailstock tended to slip.

M2 AP bullets have a steel core, not carbide. Some other bullets feature a hardened steel core, and some have a 30cal metallic tungsten penetrator. A couple of the saboted AP rounds have tungsten slugs, but they are very different looking projectile.

Again, you did a very nice job drilling the bullet - whichever one it is.

Sincerely,
Eric

rd_ab_penman

The pen looks great, Les.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but are you sure that's an AP bullet? It looks like a M2 Ball projectile to me. The M2 Ball still has a steel core which can be challenging to drill. I used to drill them on a wood lathe, but the tailstock tended to slip.

M2 AP bullets have a steel core, not carbide. Some other bullets feature a hardened steel core, and some have a 30cal metallic tungsten penetrator. A couple of the saboted AP rounds have tungsten slugs, but they are very different looking projectile.

Again, you did a very nice job drilling the bullet - whichever one it is.

Sincerely,
Eric

Eric,
I was told it is a M2 AP projectile which has the same
configuration as the M33 except for the chemical filler which is replaced by
a metallic tungsten insert.

Les

rd_ab_penman

Now that ought to get someone's attention. Nice work!

Is the bullet a loose slip fit so that it is held in place by the transmission's friction fit? If not, how does it twist?

The tranny inserts into a 7mm tube which is installed into 1/2" dowel and the dowel is anchored in the casing.
Twisting the projectile extends and retract the refill.

Les

Sylvanite

Les,

Whatever the composition of the core, I'm sure it was hard! I don't think I'd have wanted to try it (nor a tracer for that matter). Congratulations on getting the bullet drilled.

Again, great pen.

Sincerely,
Eric

lorbay

Les,

Whatever the composition of the core, I'm sure it was hard! I don't think I'd have wanted to try it (nor a tracer for that matter). Congratulations on getting the bullet drilled.

Again, great pen.

Sincerely,
Eric
Eric why not a tracer??? it's just chemical and then you melt the lead out easy. Also if you don't want to drill the tracer burn it with a propane torch, then it's just like the flares used on the side of the road.

Lin.

Top Bottom