USB Euro Frankenpen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TLTHW

TLTHW

I was asked about creating a pen with a memory stick in it and the Modified contest pushed me to stop thinking about it and start turning. The pen was made from a PSI USB key chain kit and a gold euro.

I started by tubing, turning, and gluing a maple plug into the key chain tube. Tube was glued into the upper blank, Blank was turned to size and parted off for installation of lower coupler.
FP Connector.jpg
Coupler cap was drilled for tube and installed on upper body. Assembly was chucked up and the lower coupler was milled flat to mate with the lower section.
FP COnnector cap.jpg
Turned lower section to size and dry fit to upper. Removed all hardware before final sanding and finishing with 4 coats of WTF.
Here is the lower section next to a standard Euro section. Note the slight shortening of the cross refill.
FP Body.jpg
Drilled out the key chain attachment in the top cap, filled the hole with a finial from a slim line. Finial had to be shortened to clear the USB drive.
Here is the pen disassembled.
IMG_0321.jpg
And the finished pen next to a standard Euro.
rsz_euro_fp.jpg
The pen is large and heavy but since the balance point rests right at the base of my thumb it is surprisingly comfortable to hold and write with.
C & C always welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is great I love it. Looks cool, lines are just right what a great mod. I am a computer geek and I think you have something there.

Last edited:

Triple Crown

This was a GREAT Frankenpen! I voted for it! I really like the idea of mixing the USB with the pen! Thank you for showing us how you made it work! I agree that there is a market for this concept! Great job!!!

Greg

Top Bottom