USA Magnetic Vertex RB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobalu

Bobalu

I'm still experimenting with casting. This is my second attempt to create a Red, White, and Blue themed pen with my own castings. The first batch failed, but this batch turned out much better. Just a little more swirl in the white than I wanted, but the colors turned out well. I put it on a Satin Magnetic Vertex RB, but I probably would have gone with Chrome if I had the kit on hand. Sanded to 600 grit, MM to 12000, 3 apps of Novus 2, then, a coat of Ren wax.

Attachments

• IMG_5024.JPG
    IMG_5024.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_5036.JPG
    IMG_5036.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5020.JPG
    IMG_5020.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 148
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carrick

I really like that cast you did there. I actually like the White more at the top. It's a nice transition to the cap of the pen. Great work.

wiset1

Sharp looking cast! You did a great job with the flow and action of the colors.

Bobalu

Nice one Bob! I like how it came out as well. Now try and do it again! :tongue::wink::biggrin:

Ha! No problemo! I'm sure I can do this again, and again, and again.....Sure! :wink::wink::wink:

I did learn something from the first botch...ah batch. The white was going to end up in the bottom of the mold, even if I poured it last. So on the second batch I poured it first, then the red, and finally blue. I figured the blue would sink through the red, and the red and blue would fight it out among themselves, leaving the white alone. I was really shooting for a solid white at the base, with a red and blue mix above it. It almost worked. I had solid white showing until I got within about .020" of finished diameter, then the little threads of other colors started to show through. Next time I won't mix below the upper half of the cavity and see what happens.

Top Bottom