US Navy Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodgraver

woodgraver

I have been doing inlay pens for a couple of years now, but a former shipmate asked me to make him a pen using real insignia and warfare pins. I found some tie tacks that fit the bill, sanded them down, pounded them round, and used some PR from a year old can I had...really surprised it turned out so well. I used blue silicon plugs in the ends of the tubes and the silicone melted a little and mixed with the resin at the ends of the tube. I used a couple of pieces of dyed black wood to cover my mistake. Oh, the tube...he wanted Dr. Pepper red for some reason. I used an Avery label coated with CA glue. The insignia was also attached using CA glue. I let it cure for a week just to be sure...not a single bubble!

Attachments

• DSC_0119.jpg
    DSC_0119.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC_0120.jpg
    DSC_0120.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 503
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Sounds like the 'plan' was executed without any problems...that always make things more fun.

How in the world do you hold a tie-tack in order to sand the thickness down? One slip and there goes some finger thickness:eek:

Well done, and well turned!

Scott (who needs that much finger anyway) B

woodgraver

"How in the world do you hold a tie-tack in order to sand the thickness down? One slip and there goes some finger thickness:eek::

I first put the tie tack in a block of wood that had been drilled and cut in half. Then used a punch laying lengthwise in the "trough" and got the item to begin bending a little. My initial plan was to just get them to conform to the tube and not do any sanding, but then I realized it would be one fat pen. So I went out to my spindle sander and put the smallest sanding sleeve on it. It was pretty easy to hold the tie tack while it sanded away...for about 10 or 15 seconds then it would get too hot. I would just alternate between the two tie tacks and after about 15 minutes they were sanded enough to call it good. I kept thinking though...there has to be a better way, and the other thought...this will truly be a one of a kind pen because I'm not doing this again! :)

Scott (who needs that much finger anyway) B[/quote]

plantman

"How in the world do you hold a tie-tack in order to sand the thickness down? One slip and there goes some finger thickness:eek::

I first put the tie tack in a block of wood that had been drilled and cut in half. Then used a punch laying lengthwise in the "trough" and got the item to begin bending a little. My initial plan was to just get them to conform to the tube and not do any sanding, but then I realized it would be one fat pen. So I went out to my spindle sander and put the smallest sanding sleeve on it. It was pretty easy to hold the tie tack while it sanded away...for about 10 or 15 seconds then it would get too hot. I would just alternate between the two tie tacks and after about 15 minutes they were sanded enough to call it good. I kept thinking though...there has to be a better way, and the other thought...this will truly be a one of a kind pen because I'm not doing this again! :)

:wink::wink: Very nice work. Your friend will be very proud to show off this one of a kind pen made by his friend. One thing you have to remember, we never make mistakes, we just advance along the learning curve. Every obstacle overcome, is another lesson learned. Keep up the good work. Jim S

PaulDoug

One of of the coolest I have seen. Would it have been a little easier to sand it first, while it was flat and then bend it as you did?

reiddog1

As a fellow Chief, this impresses me more than most, especially during the "season". My hat's off to you shipmate even though it's for a black shoe Sailor!! Good show and very well done.

FLY NAVY,
-Dave

woodgraver

Absolutely...

One of of the coolest I have seen. Would it have been a little easier to sand it first, while it was flat and then bend it as you did?

It definately would have been easier to sand them while flat, but I couldn't figure out how I would hold them while doing so. That led me to thinking I might be able to just bend them and live with the thickness. Alas, they were too thick to make a smooth transition.

Top Bottom