Urushi Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chriselle

chriselle

Nothing unique design wise but the finish came out nicely on this one (and the other 6 pens I did in this batch). Mallee burl with 10 layers of burgundy tinted Iwate (expensive) clear urushi. It took about 1 month to complete. I haven't posted anything lately so.....anyway.......Thanks for looking.

Urushistatesman1.jpg

Attachments

• Urushistatesman2.jpg
    Urushistatesman2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

PenPal

Cris

I very much appreciate your choice of timber, the extraordinary turning, superior finishing. This presentation is extraordinary in every way.

Best wishes Peter.

chriselle

Help me out fellas, I'm trying to figure out the thumbnail thing. I know add as attachment but it's not working. EDIT Figured it out...thanks.

Last edited:

chriselle

I very much appreciate your choice of timber, the extraordinary turning, superior finishing. This presentation is extraordinary in every way.

Best wishes Peter.

Yes, Some very kind gentleman from down under passed on some of this fine timber my way.....I think his name was... was.. umm...Peter.:biggrin: I do owe you one my friend.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Help me out fellas, I'm trying to figure out the thumbnail thing. I know add as attachment but it's not working.

Great color and nice fit and finish. I think the photo is just right. I prefer shots like that over thumbnail. Nice photography. Thanks for showing.

Daniel

My lord penturning has come a long way in so few years. This sort of thing enters a category of woodworking / turning that most people would have been hard pressed to apply to pens just a hand full of years ago. basically the application of traditional style. It is common in other forms of turning such as bowls, vases, goblets etc. where exact shape form etc determin a pariod or style of turning. but recently I have started seeing it emerge more and more concerning pens. not only ancient master finishes such as this but new emerging styles of work with "Eagle" Blanks being one very fine example. For me it is very exciting to see some people reaching to meat a standerd rather than working from the do the best I can and see what I come up with approach. they both have there value but the reaching the bar method is becoming more and more common.

Chris, my hat is off to you. Not only for an stunning pen. but for an exceptional effort in producing it.

PR_Princess

Beautiful Chris! I love the depth and richness that the Urushi gave to that burl!!! Simply Gorgeous!! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

....Can I sneeze now?:wink:

chriselle

Thank you Daniel and everyone else for the encouraging comments. I guess I'm lucky to be where I am in this part of Japan with such a concentration of talented artisans. Inspiration is rarely a problem.

I visited an accomplished urushi artist recently who had a open house of some of his works and I (happened:wink:) to show him some of my urushi pens. The first thing he asked was, "Who in Wajima (famous urushi town) did you study under?" Damn, if I couldn't stop smiling with that. What a compliment! We sat and sipped green tea while discussing technique for the next two hours. I think he at 76 was even more excited than I was. I don't think he wanted me to leave..lol. Urushi is a dying art in Japan and he stressed that a number of times during our meeting. Sad but true.

My lord penturning has come a long way in so few years. This sort of thing enters a category of woodworking / turning that most people would have been hard pressed to apply to pens just a hand full of years ago. basically the application of traditional style. It is common in other forms of turning such as bowls, vases, goblets etc. where exact shape form etc determin a pariod or style of turning. but recently I have started seeing it emerge more and more concerning pens. not only ancient master finishes such as this but new emerging styles of work with "Eagle" Blanks being one very fine example. For me it is very exciting to see some people reaching to meat a standerd rather than working from the do the best I can and see what I come up with approach. they both have there value but the reaching the bar method is becoming more and more common.

Chris, my hat is off to you. Not only for an stunning pen. but for an exceptional effort in producing it.

ldb2000

Beautiful pen Chris , Your finish looks miles deep . I hope he was wrong about the old ways dying . The care and love that goes into a finish like that says more about the artist then the art .

GouletPens

I couldn't leave the thread without piping in too....awesome, awesome looking pen Chris. It's great that you have local artisans from with to get inspiration....around here inspiration comes mostly from the internet! Fantastic work, really.

chriselle

How much does that Iwate (expensive) clear urushi go for in Japan? That sure would be interesting to try one day!

Barney

A wee little 100g tube is about $220. You really only use that for the final coats. Chinese urushi is much, much cheaper but like with all things.. you get what you pay for.

Again, Thank you guys (and gals) for the kind words.

Last edited:
You give the words "great fit and finish" a whole new meaning. Absolutely beautiful. Those pens show a lot of us just how much farther one can go, and provide a lot of inspiration.

Top Bottom