Up In Smoke - not not that kind of smoke

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

This pen is made from a poly resin - Smoke n' Mist.
From Slabs blanks and boards. Nice stuff - got 6 blanks today! Woot!
It's 130mm open, 145mm capped, and 172mm posted.
Section is a pinched 13mm thick, with 9/16" threads for cap to barrel.

I think the cap could stand to be a little shorter, only a little, and I cut too many threads in the barrel. Looks bad. If I had only cut them about 12mm deep then the cap would hide them all when the pen is closed. It posts VERY nicely.

Did this for the demo today at BSea's house. Power went out in the whole neighborhood after lunch so couldn't do more than the section and barrel. Finished the cap at home tonight and put a clip on it.
I also made a quick clip tutorial type series of photos and a little video for filing the thing for the clip. I'll get that up later. :)

023.JPG

025.JPG

027.JPG

024.JPG

029.JPG

028.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

yeah - not enough threads. Cap should have been shorter on the bottom and a tiny bit taller on the top. Oh well. I can always make more. :)

BSea

Hey Shawn, that was really a great demo. I did a trial run on fitting the clip in my prototype last night. It worked great. Well, it worked. I don't know if great would be the right word.:rolleyes: But thanks for the tips.

Tonight . . . . . . . the section practice.:eek:

BTW, for those looking at the pen, it really is a dark green colored smoke. Out it the daylight, it really comes alive.

reddwil

I'm in no way trying to be critical of your work. Actually I'm very impressed by it and want to learn it myself. In the case with this particular blank or any translucent blank, What would or could you have done to not have the threads so visible? To me, it seems to take away a little from the beauty of the pen.

watch_art

reddwil - you're exactly right and I agree with you about the threads in the barrel. What I wish I would have done was pay more attention when I was cutting the threads on the inside of the barrel, and not gone so deep. If I had only tapped as deep as I NEEDED, you wouldn't have been able to see the threads with the cap on - but to be honest I was a bit nervous doing this in front of people and a few things sort of slipped my mind. ;)

BSea

It's actually my fault. I wouldn't let him eat lunch till he was over half way through, and I think he got in a hurry.:rolleyes: And in defense of Shawn, we're kinda a rowdy group, and really slammed him with questions through out. Plus with how clear the blank is, you can see the threads through the cap anyway.

watch_art

Rowdy?
roflmho.gif

Riiiiight. I had a great time - I'll do a demo any time you guys ask as long as I can get a sitter. And w/ the kid I had this last Saturday, I think that'll be easy.
:)

Top Bottom