UP THE CREEK...WITH A BROKEN CANOE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bpgoldo

bpgoldo

Inspired by the skill and craftsmanship demonstrated by y'all on this site, I decided to stretch my own abilities and try using a band-saw in the design process. I carefully worked out templates and guides, not really knowing what I would ultimately be creating. Both cap and body were laid out with care. I cut, built, glued, and assembled. Then I mounted the assembled blanks on the lathe and turned. Curious, excited, and yeah...kind of "full of myself". The cap pretty quickly had problems that showed my idea was flawed. Once I started on the pen body, I proved it without any room for doubt. Disaster in soooo many ways. After some bad words, worse thoughts, and a stiff snort of humility, I re-thought out the pen body, turned the mess down to the tube, and took it in a much simpler and totally different direction for a "save". The kit is a new one to me, "Tapa Traveler" from Finley Gallery. Beautiful design, well made components, generous detail. I highly recommend it. Real value for the price. Thanks for your thoughts and any words you leave behind here. Hope y'all enjoy.

Attachments

• TAPA TRAVELER-CANOE-2 96 kb - Copy.jpg
    TAPA TRAVELER-CANOE-2 96 kb - Copy.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 249
  • TAPA TRAVELER-CANOE-4  97 kb - Copy.jpg
    TAPA TRAVELER-CANOE-4 97 kb - Copy.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 251
  • TAPA TRAVELER-CANOE-5 98 kb - Copy.jpg
    TAPA TRAVELER-CANOE-5 98 kb - Copy.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 264
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bpgoldo

El, go for it. I bought several of this kit on the hopes that it would be a solid as it looked. I am happy with what they delivered. Be aware, there will be no instruction sheet. You sort of have to figure out where stuff goes on your own. Also, as you assemble it, try to get your detail oriented and lined up as you want it before pressing stuff in. I like the detail points to line up....like I meant to do it that way. Looking forward to seeing you post your next Tapa here.

lhowell

That pen is one of the most stunning ones I have seen! Incredible work! I really like that pen kit as well!

walshjp17

Be aware, there will be no instruction sheet. You sort of have to figure out where stuff goes on your own. Also, as you assemble it, try to get your detail oriented and lined up as you want it before pressing stuff in. I like the detail points to line up....like I meant to do it that way. Looking forward to seeing you post your next Tapa here.

Instructions are available. On the main page, navigate to Pen Kits. Click. Select Master Pen Kits. Select Tapa Traveler (either one). Scroll to the bottom and click on the instructions pdf file. S/B the same for any of Jimmy's kits.

Top Bottom