An Unusual Request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from greeneyedblackcat

I had an unusual request from a collector for a custom built pen, he asked for the following "a custom built stainless steel pen consisting of a simple polished rod - no ornamentation - with a ballpoint mechanism built in". I thought to myself, that's an odd request a custom pen with no custom features. I agreed to make it for him, I didn't think I would like it but boy was I wrong it is one of my favorite pens now, I will have to part with it because "A deals is a deal". I guess there is real beauty in keeping it simple. Hope you like it, I sure do>>>>>GEBC

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kelvin k

cool

I sure hope the customer doesn't work in a factory that make stainless steel rods, if he drops it he may not ever find it:biggrin: That does look really cool, simple, yet very manly in my opinion.

www.afwoodart.com

Rink

I really like that just like it is. I could also see it with a beefy clip (like the one on my lock blade knife) for keeping in the back pocket of jeans. Could be a self defense option also, like a kubaton. Would be interesting to take it through the airport, ha ha!

Fantastic SS pen...

Like it a lot.

Made one out of thick walled SS tubing one time. Small quantities of the material were available at work as scrap when making our product. I couldn't see letting it go to waste. Was trying to do it without any machining as I do now own a metal lathe. Less than a success, just keep it in pen box as a reminder.

Charlie

Turned Around

That's did turn out pretty cool. You could use that same design style with some aluminum, then anodize it different colors when finished. Might be a cool new "product line" of sorts for yourself.

Really, really nice work. Very cool for sure. Did he say it had to be on of a kind?

All of my custom pens are one off creations but here is some trivia on this particular pen, it started out life as a .750 diameter billet of 316 stainless steel, I built the pen fat and turned it down with the cap installed as one unit, The overall dimension of the pen itself, (parker insert installed) without the cap is 5.79, with the cap installed its overall length is 5.97, Diameter is .567 and the cap itself is 2.22 in length. I polished it to 1500 grit because that's where it looked the best. It looks very simple but in reality it took many hours to get that one piece look, it was one of my favorite builds to date.

thewishman

Upon close inspection, at high magnification, that first picture has to be a solid rod.:eek:

It had to be several inches around before I could see any hint of a break in the metal - even then, I'm just guessing. Beautiful work!:)

shortz1lla

Mr. Cat... I've been ogling your absurdly awesome pens since I first joined this forum, I just have to say that you have some unbelievable talent. I wish you shared these fantastic creations more often, I honestly thought I joined after you had decided to leave.

Interesting that the Cat and the Rat are two of the best custom penmakers out there. You and Skiprat are truly inspirational!

Top Bottom