Unless I'm paid good money, I'm never turning this again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

206521_159839827409424_100001502242963_351076_1342983_n.jpg

I have no clue what this material is, but it came from a pool table. I think it's paper laminated with glue. I made a pen out of PAPER. Ironic. Anyhow, it came off the gouge in a huge cloud of dust. I included a sample of the material in the pic. It was going okay until it came time to separate from the bushings. The bushings took big chunks out. If I ever turn it again, I need to remember to take a razor, sack up and cut it off. I have small skews I forged for this kind of job, too. Anyhow, it was a pain in the neck from just barely round through finish. Also nearly impossible to get results sanding it. Most of the gaps and tearouts are on the other side. Normally I avoid trying to diminish flaws, but I wanted to show what COULD be done with this stuff. Maybe me and Dad can get something better out of it. Also, none of the red caps matched any of the red clips. Another carry/beater pen. At least no one will steal it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
IF you like the color and general appearance of that pen, it looks like a couple of pens (that I remember) made out of stacked leather. It has been a long time since I have seen those posted, but leather has a great color. Very similar to what you posted, only each stacked section was only about 1/4 inch instead of the 1/2 to 3/4 MDF that yours seems to be.

One thing to consider - as you turn it close to size, apply thin CA liberally. That usually makes it turn a LOT better.

Drstrangefart

IF you like the color and general appearance of that pen, it looks like a couple of pens (that I remember) made out of stacked leather. It has been a long time since I have seen those posted, but leather has a great color. Very similar to what you posted, only each stacked section was only about 1/4 inch instead of the 1/2 to 3/4 MDF that yours seems to be.

One thing to consider - as you turn it close to size, apply thin CA liberally. That usually makes it turn a LOT better.

I've done 7 pens with leather. Lot of effort, but worthwhile. You're right about the look.

robutacion

Yes, is MDF and in fact, that material is one of the easiest materials to work with and very good on tools. A sharp edge tool will finish MDF without needing much is any sanding at all, the problem with it, as it has been mentioned before, is its toxicity and the fact that, when worked, very small particles are released into the air and human lungs don't do well with much of it so a good dust mask is a must...!

Natural colour MDF is very common, many pieces of furniture and other are simply sealed and varnished with clear products and the result is quite pleasant...!

Certainly a very economical material to use, in any situation...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

wiset1

Well, it looks like the material has been identified. Aside from that I think you did a great job with the material! It's fun to see what people make pens out of and this one looks sweet even if there are blemishes on the other side...the effort is there and looks awesome.

Woodlvr

Wow thanks for posting this as I was curious about it. I am getting ready to build some work centers in the shop but I need to improve my dust collection first. :frown:

Top Bottom