Unknown wood *A gift for my buddies wife*

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LandfillLumber

Hello, this was a x-mas gift for my good friends wife.He is the one who has taught me the most about the wood biz/sawing/the list goes on and on.I don't own a sawmill can't in my location(in the city)so i use his to do all my sawing,Pretty nice fella to let me loose on his $25,000 sawmill,LOL.Well the wood is from his fence row that he has to trim every other year,so this is more a shrub then a tree.I know it looks like the grain is not lined up but it is perfectly,the wood must have grown twisted I guess.Any guesses on the wood type would be great,and any comments on the pen good/bad let me hear them.Thanks for looking,Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I can't say what kind of wood it is - but I know I've had a few pens from that same type wood - in my "following city pruners" gatherings. Sure is beautiful, isn't it?

I love what you've done with it! Nice pen! Great finish.

Victor,
Very nice pen, well done. If he has a fence row it is possibly cedar. The grain is similar, but the color doesnt look as much like it, though it could be the photo. If you could get a photo of the fence row, we cold help out much better.

bobskio2003

You may want to ask your friend if the tree/shrub he is clearing has thorn. It could be Hawthorne. If it doesn't have thorns you may want to ask him some other questions like; is it a tree or shrub, how big a diameter most of the stuff he is cutting down, type of leaf, etc. Lots of things can grow in a hedge row and many have dark heartwood. However most of your shrubs will have a pithy section in the middle. Hope this helps, Bob I.

Top Bottom