Unknown crotchwood cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

I sure wish I knew what this wood was. I think it might be horse chestnut or buckeye. The wood is very light weight, stringy when cut wet, cream sapwood, brown streaky color heartwood. The bark looks like a cross between a fuit tree and soft maple. At first I thought the log was peach, but when I cut it I knew it is not. It has an unusual fresh cut smell that tells me it is not maple. It seems a little oily when you plane it smooth. This crotchwood is really spectacular in color and figure. I'm going back early (before the heat index goes triple digit again) tomorrow. I'll take a pic of the bark.

Rich

200572441436_unknowncrotch.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I get annoyed with "me too" replies. Oh, well! [:0] Me too with Eagle's reply. Really beautiful wood, whatever it is. The pen style (BTW, what style is that?) and workmanship enhance the wood.

woodwish

I think that would some of the relatively rare "Ugly tree, pretty wood". Always hard to find but worth looking for. [:D] Excellant craftsmanship on the "UTPW" pen, very nice!

BigRob777

Well, first of all, that is a gorgeous pen, Rich. Second, the chestnut that I have is packed full of dark rays. It looks a bit like the oak crotch I sold this month, but you sell it too, so you would recognize it, and it would be heavier if it was. Stringy sounds like hickory, but the hickory I have in huge slabs for bowls is very uniform in color, between the heart and sap. Is that curl too? I just love the pearlescence of crotch wood, or is that opalescence?

elody21

You really must take me with to your stash where you get all of your wood! I promise I won't tell

low_48

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Just trying to build interest in the Peoria Symposium[:D][:D][}:)] There will be tubs of these kinds of blanks at my swap meet table on Aug 19th. I thought about asking about getting permission to take a field trip to the recycling area, but 25 or 125 people with burl lust in their eyes, with chainsaws? Oh the HUMANITY..................... Anyone interested in a get together after the swap meet on Friday or Sat. evening after the demos? If your coming to Peoria and need any help with plans or hotel recommendations, let me know. I think I'll work on some ideas like that and make a list this week. I'll post more latter.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom