Unique Pen Design using OPAL.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

The pen kit was given to me by Don Nicholas from Nth America I rarely make larger pens and they are easier really simple to make.Thanks Don.

Having survived Cancer call from the leading Urologist in town in 1985 I took a round the world for 7 weeks journey calling in At Bombay India hired a guide with his car for a day for 25 our money whilst at the Hanging Gardens casually asked where I could buy gems to take back for my family of wife five daughters and son he turned out related to half the City and we went to his cousins Gem Business. I am of modest means and very reasonably cheap purchases of Diamonds, Rubies, Pearls, Emeralds etc in earrings and cut stones was able to have three handfullsof these, the law was a smallish top figure only per day from one place so I took a gamble and had three post dated transactions that I could easily repay on return (turned out safe as a bank). Reason I mention this is I strewed the balance left after all these years in one pic of the pen as a reminder to me.

I have a mate from 55 yrs ago who has an Opal Mine out west he still works at 65 yrs of age underground by hand and I asked him to fashion one for the top of the pen.

Tapped the centre of the cap out and fitted the Opal after assembling the pen. The timber blank arrived many yrs ago covered in laquer my favourite horror and dread but the Golden Amboyna was exceptional it did darken with finishing. Altogether a fun task these larger pens are so easy to make.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 417
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCF0025.JPG
    DSCF0025.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 436
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 217
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Most interesting experiences, leading to A magnificent Pen, Peter.
It is intriguing how many people you hear, that after a serious and life awakening medical procedure, undertake a significant activity from their "Bucket List".
You are most fortunate, that your Indian Transaction come out well, The Gems look Fantastic.
The kit looks very similar to the "Golden Harvest"
Beautiful Amboyna Blank
Superb Fit and Finish, with the Inspired inclusion of the unique Opal Finial .
Is the Opal a "natural cut and polished" stone or is it a Triplet?
Congratulations,
Brian.

JohnGreco

Very nice! I've been interested in trying this for some time, but adding lapidary is just not in the cards right now. Well done.

Fishinbo

What a beautiful pen and a wonderful story behind it. The blank is gorgeous which is a great match to the kit. The opal is a great accent and finish is excellent.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The pen is wonderful! But the story is even better!!! Both combined makes it a complete book! Thank you for sharing!

"Triplet"... OH MY, "From the states"... I have not heard that term since... we visited Cairns, in 1987 :eek:.

Be well!

Top Bottom