Unique burl Canxan Negra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Linarestribe

Linarestribe

I found this burl at Woodcraft, in there sale crates a few month ago labeled Canxan Negra burl. Information was hard to find but one place said it was from Guatemala. I cut it up and finally turned it. Easy to turn but the CA keeped lifting on assembly. It took way to long to finish (3 times) but looks good with lots of activity. Thanks for looking.
Jorge

Attachments

• image-1340701029.jpg
    image-1340701029.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 271
  • image-907116425.jpg
    image-907116425.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

That is the atrax pen kit from berea. Woodcraft also sells it under a different name though.

The burl is very interesting. I hate it when the ca lifts. Try to sand the ends of the tubes before assembling

nativewooder

Chances are very good that the wood is an oily rosewood that would need to be cleaned with naptha, acetone, lacquer thinner, etc before applying CA or other finish to keep from lifting.

Great looking pen you have there. I need to get some of those kits as they are very clean looking. The wood has the color of Chechen burl and looks very much like it also.

I have not had problems with CA lifting off HRB,cocobolo or any wood for that matter since I started making sure there was NO CA left over hanging the ends like James said. If you press the parts on and it pops, then you probably left glue on the ends.

Linarestribe

I hate it when the ca lifts. Try to sand the ends of the tubes before assembling

I have not had problems with CA lifting off HRB,cocobolo or any wood for that matter since I started making sure there was NO CA left over hanging the ends like James said. If you press the parts on and it pops, then you probably left glue on the ends.

I figured I would have to sand. I was just resisting it because I didn't want to add any more steps to the process.

Top Bottom