Un-BOW-lievable ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Kaspar

image.aspx

Just a really nice blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hillbilly

Kaspar, I'm getting ready to turn a gent. I'd like it strait and not concave.
did you use a mic. or calipers on your pen it looks perfectly strait.

Amazing Pen !

Kaspar

Beautiful blank. What was your finish of choice on this one???

My old method (Triple distilled thin CA, Accelerator.) Not as fast as the William Young method, but I found I was getting bald spots with that. I think the problem lies in the glue I am using. I've not given up on it - yet, but I needed the "sure thing" on this one.

Last edited:

Kaspar

Kaspar, I'm getting ready to turn a gent. I'd like it strait and not concave.
did you use a mic. or calipers on your pen it looks perfectly strait.

Amazing Pen !

With the diameters of the Statesman barrels, and the number of pens I've done, I can feel when it's straight, mainly when sanding. I find the trick to straight barrels is perfectly circular barrels. I rotate the barrels on the mandrel periodically to check for perfect roundness, and to knock out any eccentricities caused by denser sections in the wood, or to make sure the knurl isn't too tight or the tail stock isn't in a bit too far. If in doubt, I pull it out and reset.

JBeck

Beautiful pen, you did a great job! That wood is specatcular but I must admit I don't know what BOW is.

John

JBeck

Thanks, I hadn't seen the name shortened like that. I really like the olive wood I've seen come out of Bethlehem. It seems so much more figured than regular olive wood I've seen.

John

JohnU

Great Looking Pen and the perfect kit! You really pulled it off with this one. You photo and finish are also Top Notch!

jttheclockman

My old method (Triple distilled thin CA, Accelerator.) Not as fast as the William Young method, but I found I was getting bald spots with that. I think the problem lies in the glue I am using. I've not given up on it - yet, but I needed the "sure thing" on this one.

I must have missed a post or two with you explaining your method. I am not familar with what you use. Could you explain it a bit more??? Thanks. Everyone has their own method of finishing and if yours works for you why change???

Kaspar

I must have missed a post or two with you explaining your method. I am not familar with what you use. Could you explain it a bit more??? Thanks. Everyone has their own method of finishing and if yours works for you why change???

I've never fully explained my method that I can recall. In this thread in the Finishing Forum, William O. Young showed a Youtube video of how he does his finish. If you get the hang of it, you can do a deep, shiny finish with CA/BLO that requires no sanding and can be done in less than ten minutes. Mine takes 20 to 25 minutes and involves sanding. I tried Young's method (and I may not have quite gotten the hang of it - it clearly works well for him) but on close examination, I thought my finish was a little bit better (than I was getting with his method) even though it takes a little longer.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Super piece of BOW and your workmanship more than did it justice!

That will be a hard one to part with!

Top Bottom