Ukranian Bog Wood CA Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

Well, the pen finish came out well, and it turned easily enough. The 8 coats of medium CA hid most of the wood's character. I might as well turned a dark brown or black AA blank. If you look close and have enough light to illuminated Germany's Black Forest, you should able to see some grain.

On to the less-finished finishes:)

The pen is a Smittys Pen Works Liberty. I made two - both were/worked flawless/ly.

Attachments

• UBW_SPWLiberty Front.jpg
    UBW_SPWLiberty Front.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 138
  • UKBW_SPWLiberty Back.jpg
    UKBW_SPWLiberty Back.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 153
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I have to agree with you on the CA finish giving it a look like AA, but man that finish looks nice Tony! It is a really nice pen, my walnut oil finished may not last as many thousands of years as yours:biggrin:

Nice work!

CREID

That's a beautiful finish. I said to only use 5 or 6 coats of CA, Oh wait, that's another thread.:biggrin:
Really though that does look nice and like glass. I had the same thing with ebony, if you look at it close enough and in the right light you can see it's wood. But for all practical purposes, it looks like acrylic.

Curt

TonyL

Two members helped me with it: TheWishMan and MackC. They recommended white diamond, caswell/formax 6163 and 6165. I precede the WD with the brown bar polish (I can't remember the name LOL..but it is common. I placed all 4 sets of 3 8- inch buffs on a length of all thread and then place it in my lathe with a 2MT with a 1/2 inch female thread (Rick Herrell makes these tapers now). So it's a homemade, hybrid of the Beall system and what the knowledgeable members above taught me. I rotate at 1500 to 1800 rpms. I do dry sand first to 800, then buff the Meguiars 205 just to remove any buffing compound, then Rejex to protect the finish. I was looking for a way to eliminate wet sanding (it bores me and it sometimes fouls up my CA finish).

Top Bottom