Ukrainian Bog Oak 2 (check this grain!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yaroslaw

yaroslaw

So far so good:)
Last thread was pretty successful, so few more pens from Ukrainian Bog Oak (1500-2000yrs old).

What I do love in Bog Oak (and I really fell in love with it) that oak has several grain patterns, which run in different dimensions:
1) pores, that become visible when you slightly brush the wood
2) rays, that are usually perpendicular to grain and are visible due to slight contrast with a normal grain
3) year circles, that are usually parallel to pores, but having different density from year to year can become "stripes" as bogging process runs at a different pace in wood of different density.

Jr.Gent II in black titanium. I've polished nib to remove gold, and it stayed only in a "text" - cool effect:) Black titanium is best plating complimenting Bog Oak, in my opinion.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Virage in black titanium. Check this grain!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Any questions and suggestions?:)

Attachments

• DSC_7047.jpg
    DSC_7047.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 912
  • DSC_7052.jpg
    DSC_7052.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 869
  • DSC_7059.jpg
    DSC_7059.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_7109.jpg
    DSC_7109.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 846
  • DSC_7110.jpg
    DSC_7110.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_7115.jpg
    DSC_7115.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 839
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Beautiful pens. What did you use as a finish? I just finished an Optimus Desire using 5700 yr old Bog Oak. I couldn't get a CA finish to work out. Finally just ended up polishing it with EEE and applying RenWax.

keithkarl2007

I really like the Jr. Gent. The black-Ti works great with the blanks chosen. I have some blanks that are jet black and some similar to those. Definitely going to order a few black-ti kits.

yaroslaw

Thanks for compliments everyone. I've just fell in love with this wood, and I have plenty of it here now:)

BURLMAN, I finished this one same as previous - lightly "brushing out" to open pores with soft abrasive pads from SIA (or 3M) to 1500 grit and than applied a coat of blo/lacquer mix (bought in art shop as oil paint solvent). Reason for oil is just to close pores a bit for moisture resistance, it really doesn't penetrate deep in hard part of grain, and I think it's not needed. I've tried CA and posted result here - it's not nearly as good as this way.

Top Bottom