An ugly travel dip pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiz9777

wiz9777

I wanted to make a dip pen, but I only had two ugly blanks that I cast. So I made a travel dip pen. I can keep 2 extra nibs in the pen, and one on it.

Actually I am a little proud because this is the first PR kitless that came out straight. I am just experimenting with using aluminum as mandrel. It really helps when your work stays steady on the lathe! I still need to learn more about threading the pieces. I seem to put WAY to many.

Attachments

• IMAG0983.jpg
    IMAG0983.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 285
  • IMAG0986.jpg
    IMAG0986.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 259
  • IMAG0987.jpg
    IMAG0987.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG0989.jpg
    IMAG0989.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 290
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jjartwood

Don't sell yourself short,that's a nice pen I'm not sure what you see in your minds eye
but with a little more clean up, that is a nice and different looking pen.
Great Job.

Jgrden

This is exactly what I am looking for. I have a artist who paints oils and insists on signing them with India Ink. I convinced her on a another ink that will serve her better but cannot figure out a way for her to apply her signature. Your dip method using the calligraphy point is perfect. I need to know everything you did to make this pen.

John
Lake Arrowhead
jgrden@gmail.com

Jjartwood

What is your preferred way to clean the threads?
I usually use a plastic scratch remover for auto lenses and a rag or a light cut
polishing compound and a soft rag,then remove the residue with water.
I have used a tooth brush with polish but most time the rag will get it
just fine.
Mark

plantman

This is exactly what I am looking for. I have a artist who paints oils and insists on signing them with India Ink. I convinced her on a another ink that will serve her better but cannot figure out a way for her to apply her signature. Your dip method using the calligraphy point is perfect. I need to know everything you did to make this pen.

John
Lake Arrowhead
jgrden@gmail.com

John; Go to Office Depot. You can buy a Calligrarphy pen that posts, with two screw in sections with nibs, broad & narrow, for less than $10. It's not a Rolex, but it will give you something to work with while you work out the details in making a beautyful pen. I am working on a set now. When I get the threading and blanks the way I want then, I will invest in quality nibs for the set and post. Jim S

wiz9777

You seriously liked the idea? Cool!
It was very simple.

**Body**
1) I chucked up the blank, drilled a 9mm hole on my lathe and taped it with a 10/1mm tap for the body to section.
2) I made a small aluminum plug with the 10/1mm threads and plugged the body.
3) I turned down the part that the cap will thread to and threaded it with a 14/1mm die. Then removed the 10/1mm plug.
4) I used a small aluminum rod as a mandrel, I turned most of it down to slide it into the 9mm hole and threaded the last bit with the 10/1mm die to accept the body.
5) I turned the rest of the body down just below the 14/1mm threads. Sanded and polished.

**Section**
1) Turned down 10/1mm tenon and die cut threads.
2) I made a small aluminum mandrel by drilling and taping 10/1.
3) I screwed the section into the mandrel and drilled a 1/4" hole, 3/4" deep with my lathe.
4) I chucked up some scrap blank and turned a 1" long rod a little less than 1/4" thick.
5) When I found the right thickness. I used 2 drops of CA making sure to keep a gap for the nib.
6) Chucked up the section using that aluminum mandrel, shaped and finished.

**Cap**
1) Made an aluminum mandrel with a shaft that would go in a 13mm hole and threaded the last bit with my 14/1mm die.
2) Chucked up the blank, drilled a 13mm hole deep enough to accommodate the section and nib, and taped with the 14/1mm.
3) Chucked up the mandrel and used it to shape, sand and polish the cap.

Because the body is below the cap threads it uses the same threads to post the cap.
If you DO plan on making one for gods sake PLEASE don't make it as ugly as this one.

** I would love to see how yours comes out. Please post your version. **

Top Bottom