The ugly survivor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is not my favorite for a number of reasons, but I'd really appreciate a critique.

20052204500_BereaAcetateFTAmerDT.jpg

Burgundy and Gold, dangit. I can't help it if I'm color blind!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Well...you asked. As a turned object, the quality is great...nice proportion/scale, masterful cutting, beautiful finish, very nice choice of hardware. My problem with it is the colors clash. I'm sure somebody would like that combination, but I wouldn't buy it.

melogic

Lou,
I agree with Gary. I love both of the different color acrylics. Beautifully turned and finished. I think they both go well with the style of pen even. But I do not particularly care for the combination of the colors. The red looks very classy and the orange looks like a jar of grandma's homemade peach jam (this is a GOOD thing). Great display of craftsmanship.

Fred in NC

I agree with Gary. The two colors are too close to each other, and they both have patterns.

Using another kit for the solid colors would produce two nice pens.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hmmm...a Cowboys (or is it Texans) fan, a Bengals (or is it Browns) fan, a Panthers fan and a Ravens fan. No wonder you don't like the Redskins team colors! [8D]

Gary

Ain't no Redskin fan ever wore Plum Red and Orange Marmalade.

Uh oh...I forgot, Lou is color blind. That explains it![:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Tell Baumbeck. I told him I needed burgundy and gold.

Also, thanks for the kind words, but I really hate the shape. It may well get disassembled and re-turned. The danged thing looks like it's got two corsets!
Originally posted by Gary
<br />Uh oh...I forgot, Lou is color blind. That explains it![:D]

G

Lou,

It is not a bad pen. There are no bad pens, only pens that are not quite finished yet. Orange and red do go together. This orange is particularly bright however, so less would be more. Two small red accents at the top and bottom of the orange barrel would greatly reduce it's power. If accents were added, and seperated by pick-guard, it may blend even better.

The top barrel is just ever so slightly proud at the center band, at least it appears that way in this photo.

The shape overall is just a tad too chubby for me, but that is just my taste.

Take these comments for what they are, just one person's opinion. I am the Pen Critic, and I may show up now and again. I am not here to hurt, but to help.

For those people who would like a private critique of their penmaking endeavors, you may e-mail me through the forum, or directly at... Pencritic@aol.com

Best wishes to all.

The Pen Critic

woodpens

Honestly, I am not fond of much shaping beyond what the kits call for. Slimline pens may be an exception to that preference. I like the materials to bring attention to the pen rather than the shape. I think the pen would look great in either of the two colors. I vote to shave them down. [:)]

woodpens

Originally posted by PenCritic
<br />Take these comments for what they are, just one person's opinion. I am the Pen Critic, and I may show up now and again. I am not here to hurt, but to help.
Ah, the infamous Pen Critic! I understand your appproach and appreciate the effort to make an honest critique. Value will be added.

WoodChucker

It must have a nice personality. [:D]

I like the pen and you did a great job on it, the colors I don't think are the greatest but there not that bad either. I bet it sells!

Tom McMillan

Lou, I know you've heard this---but, the colors need to match better--I can appreciate "color blind" as my nephew is that---he does beautiful artwork in black and white---but, unfortunately for those of us who aren't color blind---those don't look too good---Hopefully, there are some others that would go much better together!!! But really, a nice job on the pen otherwise!!!

Randy_

First off, let me say that if we didn't try different things as far as pen design, all of our pens would look the same. Experimentation is our life's blood; but not all experiments turn out well and I would say this is one of those. But where else would you get those pens that go to Uncle Bob and Aunt Betsy for Christmas?? ((grin)) Others may like the design; but I have a strong aversion the pens that are relatively large in the barrel; but have disproportionately small(skinny) centerbands. I think the upper barrel overpowers the lower barrel. Part of this may be due to the dark vs. light contrast; but the upper barrel appears to larger in diameter as well.... a little larger might be OK; but this is too much!! I'm also not terribly crazy about the fact that the two barrels have different curves. Actually, the upper barrel looks more like a straight barrel with curves at th3e ends while the lower barrel has a fairly uniform curve along its entire length. I don't think the two barrels need to be identical or even similar; but I do think there needs to be some "connection" between the shapes of the two barrels. Finally, the joining of the nib and the lower barrel is .........don't know if I have the right word or not; but what comes to mind is awkward.....just looks funny to me. It's like this pen didn't know what it wanted to be.....almost like you took four components from four different pens: upper barrel, CB, l. barrel and nib and just stuck them together..........they just don't fit???

Having now pretty much trashed your effort, let me throw a little oil on the water and say it is not the worst pen I've ever seen by a long shot. There are a few of those laying in a box on "MY" bench and you darn sure won't see pictures of them on IAP!!! (I've got lots of aunts and uncles) And there have been some butt ugly pens pictured on IAP other than those in the ugly pen contest.....in fact, some of those pens should have been entered in the contest. Most people just post pictures and move on without asking for honest opinions so we reply with the "PC" comment, "...nice pen..." when in fact the pen is a dog. And one final thought.....no matter how much that pen fails to satisfy my tastes, I'll bet you sell it for $50 bucks at the next craft show at which you set up a table. If we all liked the same thing, the grocery stores would only sell vanilla ice cream.....variety is the spice of life!!!

its_virgil

Lou,
I'm kinda like Ken, the more I look at it the more I grow to like the colors. A am not a fan of the profile you chose but that is strictly my personal choice and has no reflection on you. The craftsmanship is great as is the finish. The Americana looks better to me when the lines stay more closely with the bushing size. A largeer top and a shinner bottom for this particular kit. Great job and if you like it then that is all that matters. Better yet, I bet it sells....and that is the best critique of all.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by kmassing
<br />I didn't like the color combination, but now that I've went away and come back and looked at it a few times, it's growing on me.... great craftsmanship.
ken

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you all for your comments. The criticisms were well-deserved and will help me make the next ones better. I feel particularly honored that the Pen Critic selected my pen to be the first reviewed.

FYI, there IS a "Paul Harvey"-esque rest of the story, but it will have to wait until later. I've got to go write a contract.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
In attended the Wood Working show in Chantilly today. I had stuck this pen in my pocket and was using it to fill out a form for the drawing when a lady standing next to me commented on how pretty it was. I almost choked, but told her "Thanks, I made it".

She asked to see it so I handed it to her, then opened the two carrying cases of pens that I had brought along. One thing lead to another and before I knew what was going on, she mentioned that she managed an art gallery and would I be interested in displaying and selling my pens through her gallery. Of course, I jumped on that idea.

She asked me to wait for a minute while she got her husband. She introduced him and mentioned the fact that he owned three art galleries in the area. They looked at each of my pens and asked if I did any wholesaling. I replied that I hadn't, but would be open to the idea. The husband mentioned something to his wife about already carrying pens, but that the contract they had was up and they didn't like the work that was being showcased in their galleries.

We exchanged cards and agreed to talk this week about stocking all three galleries. We parted ways and after finishing up at the show I drove home. When I arrived there was a message from the owner, explaining that he wanted me to prepare an agreement to work with their galleries on a non-exclusive basis for a period of one year. I called him back and asked what kind of consignment percentage he was thinking about, to which he replied that he only wanted to buy at wholesale prices, whatever they were.

So that's the rest of the story of the ugly survivor. Now I'm going to go bang my head against the wall and stop thinking so much. My new mantra is "Ugly is the new beautiful". [8D]

Tom McMillan

WOW, Lou thanks for sharing that!! Sounds like a great opportunity for you there!! Interesting that pen got the attention of someone to get you into several galleries like that---better pat that good little guy on the back!!! Hope that works into something for you.

redbulldog

Good luck Lou. It sounds like one thing lead to another. The "ugly survivor" must have been better than anything the other supplier was putting in their gallerys. You do beautiful work as do most of the people in IAP!

JimGo

Lou, congratulations! That's a great story, and a great tribute to your ability! Now I'm kicking myself for not heading out to Chantilly today; would love to have run into you there! BTW, the finish on the pens, as always, looks great, as does the overall fit. As with some of the others here, I'm not a huge fan of the shape of the barrels, but that's just my taste. Same thing goes for the colors, but obviously others with much more of a sense of "art" than I have found those colors appealing! If you get a chance, please drop me a note and let me know where I'll be able to find your pens! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom