Ugly Pen Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ghostrider

ghostrider

This was one of the pen blanks that Buzzzz4 gave me that was left over from his attempt at the Ugly Pen Contest.

I had orriginally planned a comfort for it, but the drill bit took a left turn during the boring process, and left me with pieces that were too short to make one out of. I eventually got a second blank to make that pen, but never threw away the pieces from the first one, and this is the result. It's basically the tip and tranny from a Mini Bullet, with the CB from a Fancy Slimline, and the finial and clip from a Euro. Sanded to 2000 wet/dry, then plastic polish.

Thanks for looking.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN1073.jpg
    DSCN1073.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCN1075.jpg
    DSCN1075.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 553
  • DSCN1081.jpg
    DSCN1081.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 5,507
  • DSCN1082.jpg
    DSCN1082.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 613
  • DSCN1084.jpg
    DSCN1084.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 463
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

Two things I like...

1. The mixture of pieces make a very interesting pen (nice composition).
2. Either side of the pen detached from the other (if that were possible)

I think I am back down to one thing I like.

ghostrider

Two things I like...

I think some of the problem is that my pics are not that good. I like the way the pen looks, and the barrels are matched perfectly the way they were cast. I really didn't do a good job of capturing the character of the pen. That's one of the reasons why I posted a link to the other pen I made from it's brother blank. Eric is better a shooting pens than I am. I'm working on it, but these pics are grainy.

Two things I like...

I think some of the problem is that my pics are not that good. I like the way the pen looks, and the barrels are matched perfectly the way they were cast. I really didn't do a good job of capturing the character of the pen. That's one of the reasons why I posted a link to the other pen I made from it's brother blank. Eric is better a shooting pens than I am. I'm working on it, but these pics are grainy.

I meant rolling the pen over to its alternative side not the two pieces of the pen. I like purple/ blue and the red/orange but not mixed (ugly blank). Not my style I guess. The mix-match of parts was excellent and the blanks did align well just the color combination is unattractive to me slightly.

However, knowing that blank has more history than most would make it more valuable because it has a story. I was not trying to insult your work it is beautifully done.

ghostrider

Two things I like...

I meant rolling the pen over to its alternative side not the two pieces of the pen. I like purple/ blue and the red/orange but not mixed (ugly blank). Not my style I guess. The mix-match of parts was excellent and the blanks did align well just the color combination is unattractive to me slightly.

However, knowing that blank has more history than most would make it more valuable because it has a story. I was not trying to insult your work it is beautifully done.
Didn't take it as an insult. But now I do understand what you meant. I was just explaining that the pics don't capture it well. It's definitely not a masculine pen, but the first one (Comfort) I made from it was very nice. I know the lady who has it love's it. Personally, I could do without the pink, but I can't say that it doesn't go well with it. No offense taken. We all have different tastes. :)

Also, I believe it's bronze and pink. If your seeing orange, then the color is off.

ETA:

I thought about what you said and went back and looked. I agree. I think the bronze/blue is good alone, but I also think the purple would look good in it (of course I'm biased with the purple).

Last edited:
Two things I like...

Didn't take it as an insult. But now I do understand what you meant. I was just explaining that the pics don't capture it well. It's definitely not a masculine pen, but the first one (Comfort) I made from it was very nice. I know the lady who has it love's it. Personally, I could do without the pink, but I can't say that it doesn't go well with it. No offense taken. We all have different tastes. :)

Also, I believe it's bronze and pink. If your seeing orange, then the color is off.

ETA:

I thought about what you said and went back and looked. I agree. I think the bronze/blue is good alone, but I also think the purple would look good in it (of course I'm biased with the purple).

One of my shortcomings is probably that I don't appreciate colors used outside the normal acceptable contexts. A dress shirt tie combination with all of those colors would be considered tacky and even if you spread those colors over an entire wardrobe shoes, socks, pants, shirt, tie, sports coat the assumption of the wearer would be that the person is a bit eccentric. I know that there is a difference in the two as one is a pen and a piece of jewelry or art and the other is the way a pimp from a 70's tv show dressed. However, my mind hangs on it.

I would own this pen as a gift proudly and with the "ugly blank" back story would see it as more valuable. Walking through Woodcraft I wouldn't purchase it.

edicehouse

I don't like it, because it is too colorful for my liking. BUT that would sell in a heartbeat. I see the appeal in it. (Hope that makes sense).

Jgrden

I don't know what to say. I thought one of mine was the ugliest, but yours.......

Someone else said it, a person will buy it. It would be fun to try and sell it.

Top Bottom