Ugliest pen, no joke about it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

This is the worst looking pen I have ever seen. I thought the idea was good in concept, and it probably still is, but the base block was a bad choice and it needs twice as many dowels. Good concept, very ugly pen..I am calling it the vomit pen. I tried to get a closer up shot but even the camera doesnt want to get that close! I couldnt be bothered to perfect the ca finish on it...I was getting queezy just looking at the blanks. It is sumac with several different dowels drilled in at random angles. It was alot of work drilling, making dowels and not easy to turn either !
If someone will create an ugly pen contest, I will enter.
uglypen008.jpg

uglypen006.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

I like the concept, but agree a different base blank might make all the difference. I can't decide if it needs more dowels or less, possible just three or four solid color dowels on a bland blank. Thanks for sharing you have given me a few ideas.

workinforwood

perhaps it would be cool if it was 100% dowels. All the same size and wood but different angles and such...just swirly circles of endgrain all the way around. It's an idea I had, but the first sample was horrific no matter what you guys think ! If anyone try's anything similar...it's a real brute to turn without exploding it.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Jeff, you certainly do put a lot of work into your pens.
This one and your last three segmented ones must have taken ages.
The beauty about trying things like this, is that very soon you will make a classic.[:D]

Alexander

Jeff, I agree that a different base blank may have made all the difference. Possibly starting out with a Holly blank. But you know, if you had been a bit more strategic with how you drilled for the dowels, you could have made it look like fish scales !!

Scott

My, that is a nasty looking pen! I'm sure there is another ugly pen contest in the IAP's future somewhere! [8D]

But they're right, of course. There is somebody out there for every pen. If you want to make sure it sells, double the price!

Nice job!

Scott.

pete00

Its not really that bad....
All pens after there made need to be loved....
Put it up for adoption and it will find a new home.

Perhaps calling it something other than the
"Vomit Pen" might help it get adopted sooner[:D][:D].........[:D]

wudnhed

It's definitely different and unique. I think if your base blank was black it would make all the difference in the looks. I like the concept!

Rmartin

Pfft! I've seen some of the pens in the ugly pen contest, and yours wouldn't get an honorable mention. I'm afraid you're going to have to try much harder next time. [:D] [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom