U.S.S.Constitution

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

I saw a thread in casting that someone was asking about a navy theme blank and I was going to reply with this then I saw it was back in Nov. I figured he had already done something so I thought I'd post it here. The blanks are short so I made the body of the pen out of the wood and took a U.S.Postage Stamp with the SHIP on it and cast the cap. I called it a ship because when we were looking everything over I called it a boat so everyone there made sure I knew the difference between a boat and a ship before I left.

Attachments

• IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 465
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Very nice! Is that wood from the Constitution? It's kinda crazy the security you have to go through to get on board. Went there with my daughter's Girl Scout troop years ago--it was pretty cool.

Regards,
Michael

Kenny Durrant

Hi Tom. I was talking to a friend of mine because we thought it looked like pine so I looked it up on the web and it said that there were several woods used to build the ship. It depends on what part of the ship it came from.

TurtleTom

When you speak of wooden ships who had cannon fired at it, you are speaking of the hull or the mast. Of course no piece of Live oak is long enough to make a mast. The Constitution is reported to have cannon balls bounce off her hull. Live Spanish Oak was her hull, but the rest is hodge podge as you say. And I'm sure there is much myth surrounding the old girl too.
Sorry but just had to look it up: " Primary materials used in her construction consisted of pine and oak, including southern live oak, which was cut from Gascoigne Bluff and milled near St. Simons, Georgia."

Kenny Durrant

No need to apologize Tom. The COA doesn't say what kind of wood it is or what part of the ship it removed from. I think it makes a great conversation piece.

Top Bottom