U.S. Mint Money

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I've posted pictures of these before but this one is one of my best and I wanted to show it off. I started making these a few years ago but because of the time needed to sort the strips out I now only make a few each year. I made this one last week for the MPG pen swap.

Like most of my pens, the blank started out in need of assembly. I purchased a few large bags of money years ago, before they changed their way of shredding to what it is now. After an hour of sorting out the pieces needed, I arranged and attached them to the tube to show a picture of the images on the one dollar bill. Finally it was cast in Silmar 41 and turned. This is als0 the first one I made with a custom finial. I think it added a nice touch.

I almost kept this one for me but it felt good to see it well received. All comments welcome, and I apologize for the poor photography skills.

Attachments

• money 1_960x496.JPG
    money 1_960x496.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 481
  • money 2_960x451.JPG
    money 2_960x451.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 356
  • money 3_960x680.JPG
    money 3_960x680.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 363
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Very nice John. I've made few like that but used the sierra kit. You are correct...lots of time and work sorting to get just the right strips plus getting them on the tubes. The finial is a superb touch...very classy and sets off the entire pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well Folks...

John's Pictures do not do justice!

Trust me... I'm looking at the pen!

As described: Incredible detail on placing the money strips, finial with attention to the orientation of the words, cast with no bubbles and turned with exact fit to the kit... A Master work - YES!!!

John, I thank you! I entered what I thought was my best to date, and I received a masterpiece.

IAP... I'd be looking for these blanks!

This will be well hid from my Accountant, my Tax Attorney, my Wife, even my cats!

In the spirit of the MPG - John entered this pen in the exchange contest. But I believe he DONATED 15-20 custom blanks for the prizes! A great gesture!

Thank you John and be well!

Mark James

Last edited:

JohnU

Thanks Guys! and Thank You Mark! I'm glad you like it. I wanted to do something different than feathers since I do them all the time. It was fun and a nice change. It will definitely be a limited pen since I don't think they shred money that way any more.
Thanks again!

OZturner

John, what an Incredible Pen.
Your Patience and Craftsmanship, is Superb.
Like all your work I have seen, there is nothing that can truly compare, it is Unique.
Congratulations and Admiration.
Brian.

Janster

I've posted pictures of these before but this one is one of my best and I wanted to show it off. I started making these a few years ago but because of the time needed to sort the strips out I now only make a few each year. I made this one last week for the MPG pen swap.

Like most of my pens, the blank started out in need of assembly. I purchased a few large bags of money years ago, before they changed their way of shredding to what it is now. After an hour of sorting out the pieces needed, I arranged and attached them to the tube to show a picture of the images on the one dollar bill. Finally it was cast in Silmar 41 and turned. This is als0 the first one I made with a custom finial. I think it added a nice touch.

I almost kept this one for me but it felt good to see it well received. All comments welcome, and I apologize for the poor photography skills.
...very well done. ..?? How were they previously shredded? Beautiful looking pen for sure! ......Jan

JohnU

This is how they were previously shred. Now they come out in small chopped pieces from different directions. Bruce made his early franklin blanks with them.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Last edited:

Marko50

LOVE THIS PEN!! I suppose you could do kind of the same thing with a crisp new bill?..then again that could get very expensive, very fast! :biggrin:

Top Bottom