Typewritten Foil and Handmade Paper Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

In a flurry of digital detox, I got out my trusty Olympia Deluxe 1969 manual typewriter - in mint condition thanks to my friends at California Typewriter, who were featured along with Tom Hanks and others in this wonderful documentary: California Typewriter Documentary

I played a cozy little dance/jazz gig, and when the celebrants made musical requests, a tiny light bulb went off - "Yes - glad to play the tune, and glad to make a pen to commemorate your request".

One thing led to another:

Handmade some more paper - as explained in my previous posts - first typed out some simple words for stylus pens, then typed some tunes/composers/dates of compositions on some tooled and painted copper foil; then darkened the letters with hand-rubbed Jacquard iridescent airbrush paints; then went for it.

I may have opened another tiny can of infinity, because more requests are coming in - some requesting lyrics and chord changes - why not?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Autumn Leaves, Joseph Kosma, 1945
Kind of Blue, Miles Davis, 1959
Begin the Beguine, Cole Porter, 1935
Giant Steps, John Coltrane, 1959

attachment.php

Happy Thursday to all - Bob

Attachments

• CATypewriter,ColtranePen,markison,Nov,2017,1000px.jpg
    CATypewriter,ColtranePen,markison,Nov,2017,1000px.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 706
  • TypewrittenPensHandmadePaper,markison,Nov,2017,1000px.jpg
    TypewrittenPensHandmadePaper,markison,Nov,2017,1000px.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 702
  • TypewrittenPensHandmadePaper,markison,Nov,2017,upperbarrels,1000px.jpg
    TypewrittenPensHandmadePaper,markison,Nov,2017,upperbarrels,1000px.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 699
  • SongPens,markison,Nov,2017,1000px.jpg
    SongPens,markison,Nov,2017,1000px.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 692
  • SongPens,markison,Nov,2017,lowerbarrels,composers,1000px.jpg
    SongPens,markison,Nov,2017,lowerbarrels,composers,1000px.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 704
  • SongPens,markison,Nov,2017,lowerbarrels,1000px.jpg
    SongPens,markison,Nov,2017,lowerbarrels,1000px.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Bob, your work is great -- I always make a point of looking, because you seem to come up with a new idea or method every post. Thanks!

Another creative and original idea Bob. The pens, as usual, are fantastic. I think these are near the top of my favorite work you've done, thanks in part to their sheer uniqueness. I could see these being a hit with Biblical verses too, especially on a themed pen.

Herb G

Bob, Bob, Bob. What are we going to do with you?
You're making the rest of us look bad. :)

Just kidding. Another inventive pen & another original process.
Nicely done my friend.
:biggrin:

Bob in SF

Many thanks Mal, Duncan, Allen, Matt, John, Jay, and Herb!

Jay - Bible verses are a great idea! There's something memorable, direct, robust, and even heroic about letters struck onto metal (compared with computer-generated text).

My grandfather (equally a carpenter and writer) taught me to type on his treasured 1922 Underwood portable typewriter many (many) years ago.

Manual typewriters are happy to work way off the power grid - joyous and rhythmic stream of consciousness without editing, and far from hackers.

I'm getting a deeper type stroke impression by backing the copper foil with a strip of Scott Shop Towel. Suede and other soft leathers are also working well.

I'll be experimenting with liver of sulfur/potassium sulfide patinas this weekend (best done outdoors - a bit pungent).

Warm regards to all - and more fun ahead - Bob

Last edited:

Jim Smith

Bob, You are most certainly one of the most creative and artistic members to come along in a while here at IAP. Beautiful job!

Jim Smith

OZturner

I never Cease to be Amazed, at your Ingenuity Bob.
Absolutely Brilliant Concept and Execution.
The Scope Could be Nearly Endless, of what you could Apply.
I love the effect on the Metal Foil, it has a Fantastic Patina, and your Choice of Composers/Performers, is Magnificent.
I have been "Off the Air" for quite a while, and it is Inspiring to catch up with your latest Inspiring Exploit.
Highest Accolades my Friend,
Brian.

Gregory Hardy

Fantastic concept, Bob. "New and different," but text in metal has an "ancient and timeless" feel. Wonderful. What are you using to adhere the foil to your tubes? This is a fantastic process...got to try it!

Bryguy

Bob, I always look for your posts. You seem to have an endless supply of creative inspiration. Love your work!

RogerC

When I first joined the forum and posted my guitars in the Other Things We Make section, I was asked a few times why I wanted to make pens when I could build guitars. Well these pens you've posted are the reason. There's an artistry there unlike anything I've seen in guitars, and it's inspiring.

Really great concept and execution.

Bob in SF

Heartfelt thanks, Roger - keep up your own great work - many exciting parallels between marking time with music and marking space in the shop.

Gratefully, Bob

Top Bottom