Tycoon & Shark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

This is the first time I've tried casting shark vertebrae and also the first time I've used a Tycoon pen kit. Both turned out pretty nice and for a first attempt I'm happy. I'm still trying to figure out how I got a purple blank since this was a two color pour of blue and green Pearlex! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v4(F+).jpg
    Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v4(F+).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v6(F+).jpg
    Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v6(F+).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v8(F+).jpg
    Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v8(F+).jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v11(F+).jpg
    Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v11(F+).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v14(F).jpg
    Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v14(F).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v1(F+).jpg
    Tycoon & Shark Vertebrae v1(F+).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 167
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very beautiful pen, Steve !!!!

Where do you get the shark vertebrae ? .... Maybe that is no prob in Florida.

SteveAxelrod

I sold this pen yesterday and plan on casting another shark vertebra blank. It appears that the bone takes on a golden cast when exposed to CA glue. In this photo they truly appear golden. Anyone care to guess on how that look can be best achieved? Thanks!

Attachments

• SharkVertPen.jpg
    SharkVertPen.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 150

magpens

Wish I could offer a suggestion but I can't. . I am a Physicist, not a Chemist. . It may have to do with aging of the vertebrae.

Wondering if this pen that sold yesterday (yellowed) is older than the one pictured at the top of thread (whiter).

I have a pen made using Rotacrylic from Jeff Powell (motorcycle & flames design on white background).
I coated it with about 12 coats of medium CA.
It has yellowed very slightly over about 6 years. . No idea why.
That's the closest I have come to your experience.

Last edited:

SteveAxelrod

Mal,
I sold the purple pen from the original post. I didn't make the black and gold pen, I just copied the photo. I'm pretty certain that the gold vertebra is not a result of aging. Maybe I could dunk the vertebra in some resin with gold Pearlex and then let it drain out of the holes so the resin from the casting would fill them when I pour the pen blank?

magpens

Steve,
Your suggestion of coloring the vertebra in this way might work ... I don't know. . But I think that excess resin would be very unlikely to drain completely from the holes ... based on my Physics. . Not even sure why you could not live with a fair bit of the gold colored resin remaining in the holes. . It might work out OK after you do the second dunking with the feature-color resin. . I think it is worth a try as long as the vertebrae are not too expensive to play around with in this way.

Last edited:

SteveAxelrod

Thanks for the replies. The vertebra are definitely porous and could be dyed, but I'm looking more for a metallic gold to match the pen kit. I was thinking about using gold Rub 'n Buff. Any comments or suggestions would be welcome!

MRDucks2

Two thoughts. I wonder what a little heat would do? Second, what about casting, turning undersized and applying gold leaf to the bone, then either CA over the top or recasting with clear?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

PatrickR

If the rub-n-buff will take on the raw bone it sounds like the best option. Easy to test. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Top Bottom