TX Ebony, Black Mulga and Tru Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

The results of the last couple days. First is a chrome cigar made form a piece of x-cut Texas Ebony from Dario with a CA finish. Beautiful wood, but really hard.:(

200641202047_TxEbonyCigar.jpg

Next is a Jr. Stateman using Curly Black Mulga I got on eBay from Scott with a CA finish. This is really beautiful wood, turns easily and takes a great finish, but hard to photograph.

20064120237_BlkMulgaJrStatesman.jpg

Finally, my first Tru Stone. This stuff cuts like butter, but I harder time with finishing it than regular acrylic or lucite. Probably just me.

200641202434_MalachiteJrStatesman.jpg

Comments and complaints welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

Gerry - I'm wiping a tear from my eye. You make me so proud. A great job. You did a better job than I can get on the photography. That black mulga is one of my favs. Thanks for doing it justice. You got that CA finish down to a science.

gerryr

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Damn, Gerry, I'm going to play Jimmy Buffet all night long to see if it inspires me do do work like this. Bravo, Sir, those are great!!

William, it ain't the Jimmy Buffet, its the Cannonball Adderley, Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis(pre Sketches of Spain), etc that does it.[8D]

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I don't think I have the CA finish down to a science yet, but its getting better and easier. CSUSA sells Tru Stone, it isn't cheap but it pretty neat stuff. I have 2 pieces of the Blanco Nero that are being made into wedding presents. Hope I don't mess them up.

Buzz

All beautiful pens. The Black Mulga is interesting in that it appears to be endemic to us here in Western Australia, but I had never seen or even heard of it before. One of several Mulga species that we do have. So many beautiful timbers and so little time[:)]

gerryr

Angela, I finished it with MM as always on plastics, its just that it was really hard to get all the sanding marks off, probably need to scrub my MM pads. I spent a lot of time at the buffing wheel with white diamond.

Jim, I've never had much luck on plastics with a skew, I do them all with a 1" round nose scraper. Had to use the scraper on the Texas Ebony too, but used my skew on the Black Mulga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom