Two Zens, Tiger Eye and Malachite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penultimate

Penultimate

Greetings
Here are two Zens one with a Tiger Eye blank from Exotic Blanks and the other with Banded Malachite from R&B. I reverse painted both blanks with Testor's white then did the standard MM and polishing. Tiger Eye is my favorite stone and this looks pretty much like real thing.

I'm happy with the outcome and now can't decide which should be my daily writer.

Comments always appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I really like that Tiger Eye!

It looks like there are small scratches on your blanks, which can be avoided by sanding length wise with each grit as you progress to your highest grit. I recommend Micro Mesh. I also like to use Novus #3, then #2, then meguiars plastx polish and cleaner. I just started sanding length wise and it makes quite a difference! Just some thoughts that have helped me a good deal. You could also use a buffing wheel, but you will have to talk to someone else about that as I have no experience with that. Again, I really like that Tiger Eye! Does it have a lot of depth to it? Thanks!
David

Penultimate

David
Yes the Tiger Eye has a lot of depth and shimmer.

I tried twice to get the scratches out of the malachite. I didn't want to start again because I was already at the final diameter. I sand using abranet to start then switch to Micro Msh. Since the abranet goes down to a pretty fine sanding pad I don't start with the coarsest MM. I wet sand thru a 14000 sheet (it's not a pad). Then I use rubbing compound, polishing compound and Mequirs clear plastic polish. usually I get a really good finish. Due failing the quality assurance inspection I'm using it as my daily writer.

I've used the pen at work for a couple days and the ring magnet is slipping out.

Top Bottom