Two from yesterday

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mudder

Made two pens yesterday. Brought them to work and tried scanning them. Only thing done was resize the scan.

Spalted big leaf maple burl on Woodcraft cushin grip kit.
Not real satisfied with this kit. I may machine a custom set of bushings and redo the lower portion to get rid of that cushin grip.

2005627124259_pen1.jpg

Big leaf maple home stabilised and a hint of red dye added.

2005627124324_pen2.jpg

Comments? Constructive criticism?

I bought some supplies to make a picture booth so hopefully my pictures will improve.

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The wood part lloks good, not crazy about 1/2 "rubber" pens.
scanography .... no comment.
How's the click mechanizm?
What size tubes?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm with you on preferring the wood to the rubber grip area, however there are folks with arthritis/tendonitis who are better able to write with the grip area. The big leaf maple burl is beautiful and you;ve done an excellent job finishing it. I particularly like the slight red tones you've added. They lend an air of subtle distinction and certainly separate that pen from the rest. Excellent work! (I'm hoping to get a camera setup, booth and settings on the danged camera, that lets me get better pictures myself!)

M

Mudder

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />The wood part lloks good, not crazy about 1/2 "rubber" pens.
scanography .... no comment.
How's the click mechanizm?
What size tubes?

I know eagle, I need to find a better way on the pics.

The click mechanisim seems real good. I adapted a test fixture at work to click the pen every 2 seconds. So far so good after 5,000 clicks.
It uses an "O" drill so I would guess 8 mm tubes. Here's a link:

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4778

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You're kidding about the test fixture, right?
Lou once made an abrasion tester out of courdoroy for the fittings on the kits.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mudder,

The pen looks good, but if you want to show more wood, but keep the rubber for the people who prefer it, I have had good success with the easy grip from CSUSA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=easy-grip
They have one longer piece of material, with a nice grip. Only downside-they do LOOK like promotional pens that are available for under $2.00 ea. So, if you are selling them, you WILL hear this occasionally.

M

Mudder

<br />You're kidding about the test fixture, right?

No, I'm not kidding.

I just took it off the fixture after more than 25,000 clicks.
I think this kit is a winner. Maybe I'll make up a few bushing sets and put them up for sale.

patrick_1853

Like everyone, I like it minus the grip, but a customer may like the grip. I think I would have to call this one a test pen since you've clicked it so much.
How in the world did you get away with leaving something like that running for almost 34.75 hours at work? Assuming my math is right,it is getting late after all.

Kevin Glover

Beautiful wood. I'm with eagle....I'm intrigued by the click tester...need to see it. I would also be interested in bushings. I have heard from some people who actually love the grips, however not many. Kevin

M

Mudder

<br />Pictures of the testing jig. NO pictures it didn't happen.

Figured there would be a nonbeliever. here is your picture:

200562813346_01.jpg

Behind the pillow block on the left is a cam assembly that acuates a spring plunger.

I would give you more detailed pictures but then I would be giving up a secret.

It was set for 1 click every 2 seconds....That's 30 clicks a minute or 1800 clicks an hour.

Correction on the click count.... I had it on the fixture for 9.5 hours so that calculated to 17100 clicks. I'll put it back on the fixture tomorroe to get to the 25000 click mark.

patrick_1853

I didnt have any doubt about the feasability of a click tester, or see a reason for you to lie about it ( assuming you dont work for the kit manufacturer). Just the 5 seconds per click that you said earlier clicked (no pun intended) in my head as having to be wrong. Every 2 seconds makes more sense. Any chance you could wire something up like this for twist pens?

I wonder if they make a kit using the same mechanism that is all wood. I like click pens but the only one I ever made was the berea click pen that wouldn't work more than 10 times without jamming (it is now has a new and improved mechanism according to their catalog).

M

Mudder

I'm kidding with Eagle.

He thinks he can get me twisted and I KNOW that I can twist him [}:)]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by patrick_1853
<br />....Any chance you could wire something up like this for twist pens?.....

Being the Kuality Kuntroll & Research Stupidvisor has an advantage or three. As long as my testing does not have an impact on other tests that I have to do and I complete my scheduled work, I'm pretty much left to my own devices (that's why I get into so much trouble) Forgot that I had the 1:1 Pulley setup in there ( the mechanical counter is set up for 1.5:1 ratio and that is why I was off on click counts and time.

A cam makes it pretty east to convert rotary motion to linear, I'm not too sude how I can get the treter to twist back and fourth to test a twist mechanism............ Good challange, I'll have to think on this one a while.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
All I see is an apparatus that MAY test as you describe, but There is no way to verify that it is YOUR tester or your pen was tested on it.
Quite possibly you took a tour of a pen parts factory and snapped a picture of a display.
Signed doubting Eagle Thomas.
(twist that)

M

Mudder

<br />All I see is an apparatus that MAY test as you describe, but There is no way to verify that it is YOUR tester or your pen was tested on it.
Quite possibly you took a tour of a pen parts factory and snapped a picture of a display.
(twist that)

Yep,

You're exactly right.

Drove to a pen factory and took the picture. I've been found out.
Using your same analogy Mr Eagle, you cannot prove that any pen you have shown was made by you now can ya? <b>(twist coming)</b> Matter of fact, I doubt that you even own a lathe <b>(end of twist)</b>

How's that buddy? good twist? [:p] [}:)]

Like you said buddy, this is why I will not show it set up.
Guess you'll have to decide for yourself if I'm telling the truth or pulling your chain. [;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
<br />All I see is an apparatus that MAY test as you describe, but There is no way to verify that it is YOUR tester or your pen was tested on it.
(twist that)

Yep,

You're exactly right.

Drove to a pen factory and took the picture. I've been found out.
Using your same analogy Mr Eagle, you cannot prove that any pen you have shown was made by you now can ya? <b>(twist coming)</b> Matter of fact, I doubt that you even own a lathe <b>(end of twist)</b>

How's that buddy? good twist? [:p] [}:)]

Like you said buddy, this is why I will not show it set up.
Guess you'll have to decide for yourself if I'm telling the truth or pulling your chain. [;)]

Well you could have had that picture stored for a long time till you had the perfect opportunity to use it, like today.
In fact I don't have a lathe.I make all my pens on the drill press like the link at Rocklear.
(I was afraid if I told anyone they'd laugh, bad enough I swear by HF chisels. Oh for shame I have been found out).
So If I accept your analogy and admit that you used that counter on your pen, and then you admit that I did in fact make the pens that I show, are we to assume based on your logic that anyone who does not have an album does indeed not own a lathe?
I can think of at lesat ONE example I have alwayswonderedabout.[:D]

M

Mudder

No, no......

Your words are hollow now [;)] Till you can prove that you actually own a lathe my test fixture will remain under it's cover.

Do not try to deflect my focus of attention off of you. This is between you and I [:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
<br />Me and WHO?

Suddenly you have become an Owl?

You and I

Eagle and Mudder
Not sure what you are trying to imply(turn on lithp inert for effect)
But I went striight to Key West and left that way(Lithp off)

Oh yeah I forgot, Mudder who?

ridiculous reply to shamefully increaase the number of posts on this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom