two wooden pens -- DONE! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

Finally got the second wooden pen for this order finished up.

This pen is made from a wood and acrylic - I've been told the wood is Black Walnut.
It's 136mm open, 158mm closed, and 194mm posted.
Section is a straight, 13mm thick, with 14mm threads for cap to barrel.

I know the caps are a whole lot of waaay huge.
Even posted they're still very light and balanced in the hand.

Newton Pens

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

008.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

They are good pens Shawn but I would put my money on them being a Mahogany of some kind, not Walnut.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner because I can't reach my desktop!

randyrls

Shawn; Very Nice Pens and mighty fine work!

Unless the colors are way off, I don't think that is black walnut. The grain should hove more color variation in the yearly rings.

I have thought of, but not tried, putting a bare pen coupler into a kitless. The trim rings could be eliminated or replaced and a new grip section turned to fit on the standard pen nib.

Dustygoose

I have some Sippo Mahogany that looks just like that.

I like them Shawn. The one with the Black looks better size wise. The other one is a tad large but still looks good!

Love your craftmanship.

oneptbuk

Very nice. I like the combo of acrylic and wood on the customs. Maybe it's my monitor, but those almost look like yellowheart to me.

Two questions: What type of finish did you use? and do you cut a tenon on the inserts?

Thanks, your posts are very helpful to me; still in my rookie year of penturning...

watch_art

Very nice. I like the combo of acrylic and wood on the customs. Maybe it's my monitor, but those almost look like yellowheart to me.

Two questions: What type of finish did you use? and do you cut a tenon on the inserts?

Thanks, your posts are very helpful to me; still in my rookie year of penturning...

no finish - just sanded to 2000 grit wet or dry from walmart auto section.

the inserts do have a tenon. The barrel threaded part goes into the barrel about 15mm and the cap insert runs the entire length of the cap. The finial has a smaller plastic insert as well.

you're rookie year? Me too! I've been doin this for about 6 months now.

Top Bottom