Two Weeks, Two Blanks and a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

I started this pen two weeks ago. Made the cap. No problem. Had the body almost done and BAM...it was in pieces. Laid it all aside and quit for the night. Went back a few nights later and took a matching blank cut it for the main body. Almost had it done, being very careful knowing the first try had blown up...then BAM....pieces. Again, laid it aside and did somehthing else. Went back last night (almost two weeks after starting), took the other half of the second blank and tried again. Again...BAM...only this time I was able to recover the pieces. About half the wood came off in two large and two small pieces. I glued it all back on. Touched it up with the skew, filled in one small void with shaving and CA.

I think it turned out great. You cannot tell it was in pieces.

Finish is about 10 coats of CA. MM12000 and Novus.

I know its not a high end pen, but after what I went through to get it made, I just had to show it.

Classic Elite Rollerball with Redwood Burl.

Attachments

• IMG_6283a-web.jpg
    IMG_6283a-web.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_6286a-web.jpg
    IMG_6286a-web.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Way to stick with it Gary! Hell, I just walked away from a blowout myself. Felt IAP would calm me down a bit. It was my first cactus blank too:mad: I could find all but 1 piece!

ctubbs

That is some gnarly looking timber, no wonder it kept blowing up! Great save and congratulations. Beautiful pen. You must have great self control. If that had been mine, it would most likely been in my 55 gal "recycle" bin.
Charles

ghostrider

It can be quite frustrating after picking out a special piece of wood, and turning it down only to have a blow out. Even worse when one cannot recover all the pieces. That pen is one to be proud of regardless the kit or anyone elses perceived value. Sometimes, a much greater sense of accomplishment comes from things that require greater effort

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Gary, my boy, I have one word for you"

"Are you listening?"

PLASTICS!!!!

(Close as I can remember to the lines from The Graduate)

GREAT save!!

G1Pens

.....Sometimes, a much greater sense of accomplishment comes from things that require greater effort

I try to never let a pen beat me. I never get upset. I just try to figure out what went wrong and how do I fix it.

You are right. There is a great deal of accomplishment when I beat the pen !!

renowb

Nice job! Can't tell it was blown out. I've had pieces scatter all over the place. Most of the time, I can find them, except for the one that got sucked up into the vacuum!

Top Bottom