Two Tone Logwood Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dl351

dl351

Well, I haven't posted here in a while with new pens, so I thought I'd snap some photos of some that I've gotten done lately. After taking a few of this logwood burl elegant beauty, my camera batteries died! Oh well. As for this pen, I got quite a few logwood burl blanks from johnm, but this was the only one with much sapwood. I have to say, I love the way this piece of wood look! I think the finish could be a bit better (it's CA) because there are some lines at certain angles. Maybe I'll refinish it another time. Here it is! Oh, just click on the pictures to see them larger.

Looks great. Logwood is up there with my favorites but I didnt get any sapwood with mine from John:mad: Still like what I got. A + for messing with Logwood is how it turns your finger purple.

dl351

Out of two small flat rate boxes, this was the only blank to have any usable amount of sapwood on it. As for the purple, ammonia (or any base) will turn this wood purple. Any acid makes it turn more orange. I did some experimenting on some scraps to verify!

Cool, science class :0) I did some segmenting with it which meant I had to handle it alot and it turned my hands almost completely purple and very difficult to get off

Top Bottom