Two-tone Ironwood burl on Marksman Nightingale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

This is stunning wood, I find Ironwood often shatters so I made the chisel razor like, lathe at full speed and took light cuts. First time I made a Marksman Night Hawk and I really like the kit.

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deadhead

Too bad the Nighthawk is non-postable; I wish I knew that before I brought one. Marksman says they're coming out w/one, but it's been going on 5 months since I've heard that.:frown:

BSea

Very nice pen. DIW is 1 of my favorite woods to turn. It polishes like glass even before you put on the finish. The only thing about it I don't like is that it smells like dirt when it's turned. :mad-tongue:

Why is there obtuse ripples on the side of the clip? Deep jagged offensive ripples from machine work.
I've noticed those ripples too from a marksman I did. They don't show to the naked eye, but on a magnified picture they really stand out. If I do another (and I probably will), I'll polish the edges of the clip. It's stainless, so it should polish without a problem.

Bigj51

Why is there obtuse ripples on the side of the clip? Deep jagged offensive ripples from machine work.

If I'm not mistaken the clips are laser cut then bent. Lasers pulse and are not a continuous beam thus creating the rippled effect on the metal's edge. I guess sanding the edges was deemed unnecessary?

edstreet

If I'm not mistaken the clips are laser cut then bent. Lasers pulse and are not a continuous beam thus creating the rippled effect on the metal's edge. I guess sanding the edges was deemed unnecessary?

I've noticed those ripples too from a marksman I did. They don't show to the naked eye, but on a magnified picture they really stand out. If I do another (and I probably will), I'll polish the edges of the clip. It's stainless, so it should polish without a problem.

Unnecessary perhaps but I am clearly able to see them with the naked eye without magnification and few other problems to, specifically noted in the last 2 images from the OP. I am not sure about the laser nor have I looked at what equipment was used.

What I have seen so far is these are 80-90% kits. Meaning they are 80-90% finished and requires additional metal work.

BSea

Unnecessary perhaps but I am clearly able to see them with the naked eye without magnification and few other problems to, specifically noted in the last 2 images from the OP. I am not sure about the laser nor have I looked at what equipment was used.

What I have seen so far is these are 80-90% kits. Meaning they are 80-90% finished and requires additional metal work.
Are you saying you can see this in the actual kit pieces that you've done, or just in pictures.

The reason I ask, is because one of my favorite personal pens is a marksman. Until I photographed it, I never saw the machine marks. I'll bet 50 people have held that pen, and not one of them mentioned the marks.

I just took the pen outside in bright sunlight. I can barely see the machine marks if I look closely. I can't feel them with my finger though.

I think most kit pens wouldn't be perfect. The fact that other kits are plated, may help cover some imperfections.

Top Bottom