two tone chrome cigar with black coal rhinoplastic (lost weight with repair))

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dmott

dmott

This was my first purchase from exoticblanks, and I am very pleased. They had this two tone chrome which I never had seen in a store. Now that I feel comfortable doing a CA finish, I'm tired of it and wanted to try plastics. I bought black coal rhino plastic because I had been looking at Monte Blancs, Parkers and Crosses; they all used plastic and a lot just used black plastic, nothing fancy. These black coal blanks do have a swirl to them of a charcoal color, the rest is pitch black, but this swirl is so dark this cell phone picture cannot capture it at all.

I got a freebie and it looks like a camo blank, maybe even enough for two.

EDIT 11/19/11: I found a few bubbles which turned to little "craters" after turning, sanding and polishing. I noticed these so late in the process (polishing), that I decided to leave them. Well, after staring at them all day at work yesterday, I had to repair it when i got home. Now there is super glue holding the nib and finial on (just to make it last as long as possible), and my pen lost a little weight and looks a little more sexy.

Attachments

• 2011-11-17_19-04-10_515.jpg
    2011-11-17_19-04-10_515.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 2011-11-18_19-22-22_18 (2) (800x451).jpg
    2011-11-18_19-22-22_18 (2) (800x451).jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmott

Thanks, i appreciate it.

I ordered this stuff Monday, and received it this evening. By chance I also saw a Mont Blanc in person today (noticed the star since ive been making pens only recently).

I find this pen to be pretty similar in apparent quality, fit, my finish is much shinier (maybe not a good thing to everybody).

the blank was $3, the kit was $6 I think. edit: plus it has the easy flow 9000 so maybe $2.50 for that. now it writes like the best of them from what ive heard. From the few minutes Ive had with it, I believe when everybody says they write the nicest,

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree that the kit is different. When I found out about it, I thought it would be a good "Upscale" look at a very reasonable cost.

Yours looks GREAT!!!!

(Black can never be wrong----but it IS a pain to get scratch-free----Nice Job!!)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow that is an excellent pen.

I've got a couple new (to me at least) Rhino blanks to try.. One is called "blackstar blue" and I can't tell how much blue is in it, but I definitely know that its going on a two tone cigar of some kind after seeing this. I think I have a couple of the Titanium version of that hardware hiding on my shelf that this would deserve a blank like this.

One question - did you paint the inside? I'm hoping for a very dark midnight blue color, not pure black and I'm curious if you had to paint to get the black pure?

SDB777

Got to argee with ED on the black is hard to get 'scratch free', but you look like you did plenty goo with it from the photo's.

Well done!

Scott (might need to offer some acrylic stuff too) B

Carl Fisher

I put that same cigar kit together last weekend and REALLY like the look of the hybrid 2-tone kits over the other standard kits. Definitely putting more in my next order.

Last edited:

dmott

Nope, no painting on this one. Before I turned it, I thought it was just black with no swirls/translucent areas. After turning and polishing I can see some faint swirls, but no tubes.

the cigar pen also leaves the blank pretty thick, which helps.

dmott

well my pen lost some weight.

There were a few tiny bubbles in the plastic that turned to craters after turning, sanding and polishing. It took me until I was polishing them to notice (thanks beer) so i didnt feel like turning down and finishing it again (thanks beer). After using it all day today, I decided I needed to fix it. It lost some size but I think I like the shape even more now.

I dont think there are any more imperfections. In the picture you can see some lint or paper shred or something. Its hard to keep this thing clean long enough for a picture because of the color.

Attachments

• 2011-11-18_19-22-22_18 (2) (800x451).jpg
    2011-11-18_19-22-22_18 (2) (800x451).jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom