Two Tone Amboyna Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JBCustomPens

JBCustomPens

Hey everybody,

This is a new pen I made for myself. It is made from two-tone amboyna burl, with a CA finish. I've been experimenting with different photo setups, please tell me which you prefer. Comments and questions welcome!:)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

khogan16

I like the stone, but that's just me. I've used a stone in all of my pics. I think the acrylic stands detract the eye too much and take away from the pen.

maxman400

I like the first one, Because in the other two the tip of the pen is in focus while the back half is out of focus. As a result I think you loose perspective on what you are tying sell which is the grain of the wood, you only see about 1/4 of your blank that is in focus. I think you can use almost any thing as a prop, but you must always be able to see the pen clearly.
Nice Pen by the way!!!

Last edited:

dow

Of the three, I prefer the first one. Yes, you can see the acrylic stand, but it shows the pen off really well. The second and third photos are in focus on the gold ring between the blank and the grip of the pen. Also, having the pen at that angle makes the nib end seem larger than the rest of the pen, kind of like those close up pictures of people's faces where the nose seems much larger than it ought to be. Try shooting with the pen less than 45 degrees from the plane of the camera, rather than the 60-80 degrees that it's at now. For the whole pen to be in focus, you need for it to be either 1) in the plane of the camera (i.e. pointing right and left in the frame, 2) shoot at a sufficiently high aperture (F11, F16 maybe) so that the entire pen front to back is in focus, or a combination of the two. I hope that this makes sense.

Nice pen by the way, I really like amboyna.

JBCustomPens

I like the first one, Because in the other two the tip of the pen is in focus while the back half is out of focus. As a result I think you loose perspective on what you are tying sell which is the grain of the wood, you only see about 1/4 of your blank that is in focus. I think you can use almost any thing as a prop, but you must always be able to see the pen clearly.
Nice Pen by the way!!!

Of the three, I prefer the first one. Yes, you can see the acrylic stand, but it shows the pen off really well. The second and third photos are in focus on the gold ring between the blank and the grip of the pen. Also, having the pen at that angle makes the nib end seem larger than the rest of the pen, kind of like those close up pictures of people's faces where the nose seems much larger than it ought to be. Try shooting with the pen less than 45 degrees from the plane of the camera, rather than the 60-80 degrees that it's at now. For the whole pen to be in focus, you need for it to be either 1) in the plane of the camera (i.e. pointing right and left in the frame, 2) shoot at a sufficiently high aperture (F11, F16 maybe) so that the entire pen front to back is in focus, or a combination of the two. I hope that this makes sense.

Nice pen by the way, I really like amboyna.

Thanks! I'll use this tips next time. I love amboyna too, it's definitely in my top 5 woods.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Nice pen. Whichever setting you decide on, you need to get the plane of the pen parallel to the plane of the camera lens. That will keep your photo in consistent focus.

JBCustomPens

Thanks for all the nice comments! The experimental pics were #'s 2 and 3. For all the pics on my site, I use the angle on pic #1. Thanks for everybody's input, it is well valued.:)

Top Bottom